Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 09:13:22 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        mark@grondar.za (Mark Murray)
Cc:        pgilley@metronet.com, bugs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.1.6-RELEASE DES Problem

As Mark Murray wrote:

> Phil Gilley wrote:
> > The DES package seems to be missing /sbin/init and maybe other things as
> > well (the same problem also existed under 2.1.5-RELEASE).

> You're right. Secure init and ed-with-crypt are missing.

Sigh.  If people had actually had reported this problem with 2.1.5,
it's rather easy to fix.  Now it's too late. :-(

I've just verified on Jordan's 2.1.6 build machine... i think the
story is as follows: he used to hand-craft the ammunition-
braindeadness affected binaries up to 2.1R, while we switched over to
automagically generate both versions later.  However, while the magic
to create this has been kept in sync with -current in /usr/src/release,
it simply has never been pulled into the Makefiles for init and ed.

--
cheers, J"org