Date:      Sun, 08 Dec 1996 10:42:28 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Soren Dossing <sauber@netcom.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SSL installation

Soren Dossing wrote:

> Forgive me if this is not the right place for this question.
>
> I try to install SSleay under FreeBSD 2.1.6. I have downloaded
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/freebsd/freebsd-current/ports/security/ssleay.tar.gz
>
> After a tar -txvf i do a make in the /usr/ports/security/SSL directory.
> Unfortunately I am not sure if I follow the right installation procedure,
> but anyway make says something like:
>
> --- snip ---
> [ lots of stuff about extracting and cp ]
> /bin/cp ./crypto/pkcs7/pkcs7.h out/pkcs7.h
> /bin/cp ./ssl/ssl.h out/ssl.h
> cc -o tmp/cryptlib.o -DFLAT_INC -Iout -Itmp -DTERMIO -D_ANSI_SOURCE -O2
> -fomit-frame-pointer -DNO_MD2 -DNO_MD5 -DNO_DES  -DCFLAGS="\"cc -DTERMIO
> -D_ANSI_SOURCE -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -DNO_MD2 -DNO_MD5 -DNO_DES\"" -c
> ./crypto/cryptlib.c
> ./crypto/cryptlib.c:59: des.h: No such file or directory
> *** Error code 1
>
> Stop.
> *** Error code 1
> --- snap ---
>
> I have tried to fix this problem and several other compilation problems
> but to no avail, so I guess I am doing something wrong.
>
> I really need to run a SSL server, so any solutions or suggestions will be
> appriciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Soren

The SSL port assumes you have the DES option installed. What you shpould do is
one of the two:

1. Install DES. Note that if you want your system to remain otherwise unaffected
you need to restore the links to the MD5 libraries after the installation
(alternatively, you may manually install just parts of it).

2. Let SSLeay use its own DES implementation. To do that, use the SSLeay make
files, not the port make files (I guess the port make files can be hacked to
make SSLeay with its DES components, but this seems easier to me).

If I remember correctly, I tried option 2, and finally went for option 1.

Nadav