Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 20:48:55 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Gang-Ryung Uh <uh@NU.CS.FSU.EDU>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   xircom credit card FAX/MODEM

Hi,

  I can successfully install FreeBSD 2.2.2 (XFree86 3.2) with the recent
  PAO packages to the NEC versa Window NT laptop. FreeBSD seems to run
  very stable for APM and mouse (touchpad).
  Woops!! Unfortunately, I realized that I  have a Xircom creditcard modem
  28.8.

  When I run window NT with the modem in PCMCIA slot 0, the system reports
  that it detects the modem at

             slot 0
             card Creditcard Modem 28.8Kbps
             IRQ  3
             PORT 0x2e8
             DOS Device COM4

  and I can set up PPP and can run various TCP/IP applications.

  When I run FreeBSD 2.2.2 system with the modem in slot 0,
  (I copied pccard.conf.sample to pccard.conf without any
   modification)
  syslog reports the following message from pccardd and the
  whole system is frozen:

       Card inserted slot 0
       Card inserted slot 0
  pccardd[32]: Card "Xircom"("CreditCard Modem 28.8") has
               function ID 2

       sio0: Warning: irq_pending error.
       sio2: type 16550A

  Would you explain to  me what is the above error message means
  and how to make this modem configured in a generic manner such as
  window NT?

  I appreciate any advice (including curses) in advance.

Regards,
Gang-Ryung Uh

ps.  When I insert the card into slot 1,
     pccardd can not detect that action.