Date:      Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:33:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   newfs'ing a logical DOS drive?

Hi,

Is it possible to newfs a "logical DOS drive" in an extended
partition in order to convert it from FAT to FFS?

If more details are needed:  The partition is accessed as "I:"
drive under DOS; I can mount it as /dev/sd0s11 under FreeBSD
(with "-t msdos", of course).  I'm running some pre-2.2.6
snapshot of FreeBSD (mid 1997; I can dig out the exact date if
this is important).  There's also DOS 5.0 and NT 3.51 on that
box.

Would it work to simply "newfs /dev/rsd0s11" and then mount it
as FFS, without destroying the other logical DOS drives in that
extended partition?  (Of course I'm aware of the fact that the
following partitions will get new DOS drive letters, but this
is not a problem.)

I will make a backup before I try this, of course, but it would
be nice to know in advance whether it would work, or if there
are any important things that I should know.

Thanks in advance!

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany