Date:      Mon, 2 Aug 1999 00:29:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Annelise Anderson <andrsn@andrsn.stanford.edu>
To:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sony VAIO Picturebook (PCG C1X) with -current

	I've installed -current (July 27 sources) on this toy
and I'm amazed at how much is working--(I am not using PAO).

	It finds at pci0 a Ricoh RL5C475 PCI-CardBus Bridge.
I didn't think it would run pccards, but my D-Link 660 ne2000
compatible is working.

	The Sony cdrom will boot the 3.2-RELEASE cdrom; I haven't
installed from it though.  This cdrom runs from a pccard, and I
can read the tuples with pccardc dumpcis but haven't succeeded
in installing a driver that works (I tried wcd1 but it's not found,
and created a panic with wcd0).  Windows98 thinks the cdrom is
a Matshita UJDB110; booting kernel.GENERIC does not result in
any hits with any cdrom drivers.  Any suggestions on this?

	USB printing works.  X works.  Sound works, although it
warns me that SB Pro support is required, so I don't have quite
the right stuff in the kernel yet.

	As I mentioned before, the usb floppy will boot the
install disks; I originally installed 3.2-RELEASE from dos,
upgraded to the July 26 -current snap by downloading to a dos
partition and using the install.sh scripts, and then did a
make world with the July 27 sources.

	I have 3.2 floppies with pccard (non-PAO) support that
don't work to recognize the ethernet pccard, but I would guess
a "make release" of -current with pccard support added would
produce floppies that would work.

	This VAIO has a stick-type pointing device (and three
mouse buttons) rather than a touch-pad.  (I happen to like this.)

	This VAIO is smaller (and lighter weight) than most
VAIO laptops; I'd like a larger font on the console, and can
change it to 40x25 but can't figure out how to do anything else
in spite of reading the vidcontrol man page several times.  I
would also like to make the display wider (it's not filling
the screen horizontally).  Is there any possibility I can do
anything about this?  Where would I start?

	In any case, my thanks to Warner Losh and others who
have worked on the pccard and usb support.  I didn't expect as
much to work so soon.

		Annelise