Date:      Sun, 21 Mar 1999 00:01:00 -0800
From:      grady@xcf.berkeley.edu (Steven Grady)
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   question about e-bay breakin last week

According to the story, the cracker who got into e-Bay last week got
in via FreeBSD.  Does anyone know anything more about this?

    "I exploited a buffer overflow condition, which existed in an SUID
    root program," says the hacker, who is finishing up a B.S. in
    computer science. "Then I used software which I had written
    myself to get to the rest of the network. FreeBSD was the first
    machine I accessed, the rest were Solaris."

Full URL: http://www.forbes.com/tool/html/99/mar/0319/side1.htm

	Steven
	grady@xcf.berkeley.edu

"Where do we keep all our chainsaws, mom?"