Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 10:09:51 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Pasha <pasha@best.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD

Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Pasha wrote:
>
> > Hi, I just installed, FreeBSD OS on my PC.
> > First of all, I tried to install from CD and it didn't work: System didn't
> > find my CD.  So, I've changed CD-ROM on Primary Slave (It was secondary
> > master first) and I installed FreeBSD on my second HD (secondary master)
> > from CD. But when I start BSD, it says: "panic: can't mount root".  And
> > then It restarts. If I want to start it, I have to type"
> > 1:sd(2,a)kernel" , so it will mount root on wd2.  Is there anyway I can
> > make it default??
>
> Is that right?  I assume you meant 1:wd(2,a)/kernel.
>
> There isn't much you can do about this at the moment.  It involves
> rebuilding the boot image but that is a royal pain.

Not quite. I believe rebuilding the kernel will do. If the symptoms are that
when you let it boot with the defaults it finds the kernels (does all the
probes, etc.) and then says: Cannot mount root, then try to rebuild the
kernel and change the "kernel config" line to read:

config kernel root on wd2