Date:      Sun, 24 Nov 1996 10:28:37 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Clayton Carney <72271.3671@CompuServe.COM>
Cc:        support <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Can't mount root (3)

Clayton Carney wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Well, I've made some progress but still have a serious problem.  Following one
> of the suggestions given, I rebuild the kernel to address the problem of booting
> from wd2 (second drive, second controller).  The pertinent lines in kernel file
> are as follows:
>
> config kernel root on wd1
>
> options ATAPI
>
> controller wdc0 ...
> disk wd0...
> device wcd0...
>
> controller wdc1...
> disk wd1...
>
> This accurately reflects my hardware setup (hard drive and CD on IDE controller
> 0/hard drive on IDE controller 1).  In fact, as the system boots and probes, it
> speeds thru the hardware.  Previously, there were considerable pauses occurring
> as the drives were being probed.  Now however, the following appears after
> probing:
>
> swapon: /dev/wd2s1b: Device not configured
> Automatic reboot in progress...
> Can't open /dev/rwd2a: Device not configured
> /dev/rwd2a: CAN'T CHECK FILE SYSTEM.
> /dev/rwd2a: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck MANUALLY.
> Automatic file system check failed... help!
>
> Let me echo that request: Help!!!  I kinda understand what's happening here; wd2
> has now become wd1 (due to a problem in the way BIOS numbers drive, or so I
> gather) and for some reason the system is looking for its goodies on wd2, right?
> Question is: how do I get the system to start looking at wd1 instead?!  Let me
> perhaps complicate the problem by stating that the shell is the only thing that
> seems to work; I can't get into a text editor.

The thing you need to do is edit the file /etc/fstab. I take it you did get your old
kernel to boot (using the 1:wd(2,a) trick), so I'd suggest you'd boot that to edit
the file. This way you'll have your system back (assuming you didn't delete the old
kernel this would mean typing: 1:wd(2,a)/kernel.old at the boot: prompt). In
/etc/fstab replace all references to wd2 with wd1. If you can't get you system to
boot normnally, type -s at the boot: prompt, which will get you to single user mode.
>From there, mount /usr manually, and use whatever utiulity you fancy to replace all
occurances of wd2 in /etc/fstab with wd1.

> I could use a DETAILED description (please remember, I know DOS and Windows
> forward and backwards; but UNIX is completely new to me) of how to go about
> correcting this problem.
>
> Many thanks in advance, especially to the many who have already help me so far.
> I realize this is all volunteer support and I would have given up long ago
> without the help...
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Clayton Carney

Nadav