Date:      Sun, 5 Mar 2000 12:23:42 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>, Tom Knienieder <tom@knienieder.com>, Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>, kkenn@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Alpha ISO is fantastic!

On Sat, Mar 04, 2000 at 12:00:50PM -0800, Mike Smith wrote:

> > ..
> > >
> > > I noticed the same thing. For example mysql-3.23.11-alpha has
> > > uptimes from serveral minutes on my 164lx under heavy load.
> > > I changed the CFLAGS from -O3 and -O2 to -O0. It's up for
> > > over 20 hours now.
> >
> > Ai... If this is also the cause of my X trouble I wonder if it makes sense
> > to create the RC3 for Alpha with -O or -O0 ?
>
> I'm asking people that have had trouble with building world on beast to
> try this - Kris, I seem to recall you were one of them...

I can say that building world with O3 gaves me a nearly unusable system.
config complained about unknown options in my file and the compiler
complained about silly things even for simple test programms.
A new buldworld was not possible as the compiler did not work properly.
After I exchanged cc1 and libc.so I was able to buildworld again with
default parameters using the same source.
That was on a PC164.

--
B.Walter                  COSMO-Project              http://www.cosmo-project.de
ticso@cicely.de             Usergroup                info@cosmo-project.de