Date:      Sun, 09 Apr 2000 07:05:25 +1000
From:      Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
To:        Per_Hallstrom_NV98ATe@teknikum.vaxjo.se
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange kernel panics

> recompiled it, MaxUsers 256. Now it says that there isn't enough
> NMBCLUSTERS (or something like that). Well, i recompiled it. It told me
> to raise MaxUsers, so I did, to 512. (If I set it >512 it gives me a
> warning.)
> It still says that it is out of NMBLUSTERS. And then it reboots.
> [...]
> I would be very thankful if someone knows why this happens. If anyone
> have a kernel config file that you know works, mail me... if that is
> the problem. And btw, it's FreeBSD 3.4.. [...]

Leave maxusers at 64 (or whatever you would choose for normal
operation other than your test).  Then add the following line to
your config file:

    options		NMBCLUSTERS=4096	#Default=1024

Build and install a new kernel and repeat the test.  If it
doesn't do what you want, repeat the process with larger values
for NMBCLUSTERS until it does work.

--
Greg Black -- <gjb@acm.org>