 Ãßõ»çÀÌÆ®ÀÔ´Ï´Ù.
ºÐ¸í Àú´Â À̸ÞÀÏ Á¦¸ñ¿¡ 'È«º¸¸ÞÀÏ'ÀÓÀ» ¹àÇû½À´Ï´Ù. ±×·¯¹Ç·Î
º¸½ÇºÐ¸¸ º¸½Ç ¼ö ÀÖ°í, ±×·¸Áö ¾ÊÀ¸¸é ¹Ù·Î »èÁ¦°¡ °¡´ÉÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
±ÍÇÏÀÇ ¼ö½ÅÀǻ縦 Á¸ÁßÇÏ´Â °ÍÀÔ´Ï´Ù.
¿øÄ¡ ¾ÊÀ¸½Ã´Â ºÐÀº ±×³É ÀÐÁö ¾ÊÀ¸¼Åµµ ÁÁ½À´Ï´Ù. Á¤¸» Á˼ÛÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
¡á http://hantuja.wo.to ¡á
 ¢Ñ º¸½Ã¸é ¾Æ½Ç °ÍÀÔ´Ï´Ù. ȹ±âÀûÀÎ ¹«·á»çÀÌÆ®ÀÔ´Ï´Ù.
     Æò»ý Á¦°øµÇ´Â ´Ù¾çÇÑ ÇýÅÃ!

¡á http://ezguide.wo.to ¡á
 À½¾Ç¹æ¼Û±¹, »çÀÌÆ® ¸ðÀ½, Àç¹ÌÀÖ´Â Ç÷¡½¬, °¢Á¾½Å¹®, ¸¸È­, ¹ÂÁ÷°ü·ÃÁ¤º¸,
 ÀâÁöÁ¤º¸, À¯Æ¿¸®Æ¼ µîµî...) À§ÀÇ Á¤º¸¸¦ ¹«·á·Î ÀÌ¿ë °¡´ÉÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
 'EZ-GUIDE' À¥¼­ÇÎÇҽÿ¡ µû¶ó´Ù´Ï´Â ÀÎÅÍ³Ý °¡À̵åÀÔ´Ï´Ù.

Á¢¼ÓÀ» ÇÏ½Ãµç ¾È ÇÏ½Ãµç ±×°Ç ±ÍÇÏÀÇ ¼±ÅÃÀÔ´Ï´Ù!
- º» ¸ÞÀÏÀº ´ÙÀ½°ú °°½À´Ï´Ù.
* ÇÑ »ç¶÷¿¡°Ô´Â Çѹø¸¸ ¹ß¼ÛÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
* Àú¿¡°Ô ÀÚÀ¯·Ó°Ô ¹®ÀÇ(jpdman@hanmail.net)°¡ °¡´É, ¼ö½Å°ÅºÎ °¡´ÉÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
* »ç¿ëÀÚ¿¡°Ô ÃÖ´ëÇÑ ÇÇÇظ¦ ÁÖÁö ¾ÊÀ¸·Á°í ³ë·ÂÇÕ´Ï´Ù.
* ¸ÞÀÏÁ¦¸ñ¿¡ ºÐ¸í ±¤°í¸ÞÀÏÀÓÀ» ¹àÈ÷°í ÀÖ½À´Ï´Ù.
* ¹Þ´Â »ç¶÷¿¡ ´ëÇØ ¾î¶°ÇÑ Á¤º¸µµ °¡Áö°í ÀÖÁö ¾Ê½À´Ï´Ù.
* ±×·¡µµ ½ºÆÔ¸ÞÀÏÀÌ ºÒ¾ÈÇϽøé ÇöÀç À̸ÞÀÏ µµÂøÇÑ
  ÁÖ¼Ò(rksekgoo@hanmail.net)¸¦ ¼ö½Å°ÅºÎÀÚ ¸®½ºÆ®¿¡ µî·Ï½ÃÅ°¸é
  Àý´ë °¡Áö ¾Ê½À´Ï´Ù.
To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Tue Oct 16 15:58:49 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from femail44.sdc1.sfba.home.com (femail44.sdc1.sfba.home.com [24.254.60.38]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id BF30837B40A for ; Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:46 -0700 (PDT) Received: from laptop.baldwin.cx ([24.2.39.156]) by femail44.sdc1.sfba.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.20 201-229-121-120-20010223) with ESMTP id <20011016225845.IEXS21343.femail44.sdc1.sfba.home.com@laptop.baldwin.cx>; Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:45 -0700 Message-ID: X-Mailer: XFMail 1.4.0 on FreeBSD X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit MIME-Version: 1.0 In-Reply-To: <20011016084416.A18322@xor.obsecurity.org> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 15:58:44 -0700 (PDT) From: John Baldwin To: Kris Kennaway Subject: Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemp Cc: chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org On 16-Oct-01 Kris Kennaway wrote: > On Tue, Oct 16, 2001 at 05:40:42PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote: >> Robert Love is writing a patch to make the Linux kernel preemptible, >> and has some interesting ideas about FreeBSD: >> >> http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=328&mode=thread&order=0 > > AFAIK the FreeBSD 5.0 kernel is not fully preemptible either. jhb > was/is working on it but was having problems with stability. Last time I played with it, it was stable on UP x86. It was mostly stable on UP alpha (had a problem where it didn't flush all teh buffers on shutdown) and locked up instantly on SMP x86. It is sitting in a very stale perforce tree (jhb_preemption - //depot/users/jhb/preemption/) that I will be getting back to eventually. > Kris -- John Baldwin -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/ PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!" - http://www.FreeBSD.org/ To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Wed Oct 17 11:16:25 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id DE6B537B42B for ; Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:16:15 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id MAA12684; Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:15:56 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011017120858.046a58a0@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 12:15:52 -0600 To: Dag-Erling Smorgrav , chat@FreeBSD.ORG From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemptible kernel" In-Reply-To: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 09:40 AM 10/16/2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote: >Robert Love is writing a patch to make the Linux kernel preemptible, >and has some interesting ideas about FreeBSD: > >http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=328&mode=thread&order=0 Kernel pre-emption is tough to retrofit into a kernel, but not hard to put in if you're writing one from scratch. SVS' "Integrity" (http://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/integrity.html) has had it for quite some time. The RTOS never turns off interrupts, though it does ignore those that come in while a previous interrupt from the same source is being handled. As for SMP: It's probably more efficient to have intelligent I/O and/or asymmetrical multiprocessing (i.e. one or more CPUs devoted exclusively to handling non-intelligent peripherals) than to have multiple general-purpose processors fielding I/O requests. --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Wed Oct 17 13:39:26 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from femail15.sdc1.sfba.home.com (femail15.sdc1.sfba.home.com [24.0.95.142]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 25B5B37B435 for ; Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:39:17 -0700 (PDT) Received: from laptop.baldwin.cx ([24.2.39.156]) by femail15.sdc1.sfba.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.20 201-229-121-120-20010223) with ESMTP id <20011017203915.VGZT2467.femail15.sdc1.sfba.home.com@laptop.baldwin.cx>; Wed, 17 Oct 2001 13:39:15 -0700 Message-ID: X-Mailer: XFMail 1.4.0 on FreeBSD X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit MIME-Version: 1.0 In-Reply-To: <4.3.2.7.2.20011017120858.046a58a0@localhost> Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:13:47 -0700 (PDT) From: John Baldwin To: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemp Cc: chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org On 17-Oct-01 Brett Glass wrote: > At 09:40 AM 10/16/2001, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote: > >>Robert Love is writing a patch to make the Linux kernel preemptible, >>and has some interesting ideas about FreeBSD: >> >>http://kerneltrap.com/article.php?sid=328&mode=thread&order=0 > > Kernel pre-emption is tough to retrofit into a kernel, but not hard > to put in if you're writing one from scratch. SVS' "Integrity" > (http://www.ghs.com/products/rtos/integrity.html) has had it for > quite some time. The RTOS never turns off interrupts, though it does > ignore those that come in while a previous interrupt from the same > source is being handled. Actually, it's not that hard at all with interrupt threads already in place in -current. You just do a simple check in setrunqueue() to see if you should switch to the new thread/process when it's put on the runq (i.e. is its priority higher than your current thread/process.) The only remaining trick is to not preempt during critical sections which are already marked by our critical_enter/exit API. Basically, if we are in a critical section, then setrunqueue() sets a flag in the current thread rather than switching, and when we call critical_exit() to exit the critical section we switch if that flag is set (i.e. we delay the preemption until we exit the critical section). It actualy is fairly simple, and it removes things like the MTX_NOSWITCH flag and the SWI_SWITCH/SWI_NOSWITCH flags thus simplifying some interfaces. -- John Baldwin -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/ PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!" - http://www.FreeBSD.org/ To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Thu Oct 18 1:22:50 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from smtp-send.myrealbox.com (smtp-send.myrealbox.com [192.108.102.143]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id A447237B40B for ; Thu, 18 Oct 2001 01:22:46 -0700 (PDT) Received: from david-lock.myrealbox.com Locky@smtp-send.myrealbox.com [203.212.146.89] by smtp-send.myrealbox.com with Novell NIMS $Revision: 2.86 $ on Novell NetWare; Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:22:45 -0600 Message-Id: <4.3.1.1.20011018182552.00a96f00@mail.myrealbox.com> X-Sender: Locky@mail.myrealbox.com X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.1 Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:26:05 +1000 To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org From: Locky Subject: Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org How do I subscribe? To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Fri Oct 19 9:28:29 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from aragorn.neomedia.it (aragorn.neomedia.it [195.103.207.6]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4A48937B401 for ; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 09:28:26 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from httpd@localhost) by aragorn.neomedia.it (8.11.4/8.11.4) id f9JGS9711559; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:28:09 +0200 (CEST) To: Gavin Atkinson Subject: RE: Use of the UNIX Trademark Message-ID: <1003508889.3bd054997f004@webmail.neomedia.it> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 18:28:09 +0200 (CEST) From: Salvo Bartolotta Cc: Ted Mittelstaedt , "P. U. (Uli) Kruppa" , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG References: In-Reply-To: MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: IMP/PHP IMAP webmail program 2.2.4-cvs X-WebMail-Company: Neomedia s.a.s. X-Originating-IP: 62.98.163.4 Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org [ not sure -questions is best for this topic... ] Gavin Atkinson wrote: > On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote: > > > In fact there's a website devoted to this sort of stuff, > > http://www.bountyquest.com/ It's actually rather disgusting to look > > through this and see some of the patents that have been granted. > > I guess the best example (though a well known one) is US trademark > 75502288, the unhappy smiley, registered to despair.org. > > http://tarr.uspto.gov/servlet/tarr?regser=serial&entry=75502288 :-( But this is not printed material. :-) Should software at large, and FreeBSD in particular, be crippled by polio^H^H^H^Hatents, Europe will happily offer asylum. :-)) -- Salvo To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Fri Oct 19 14:21:30 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id C762237B401; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:21:27 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id PAA12778; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:21:14 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011018232356.04601a40@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost (Unverified) X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 23:26:03 -0600 To: John Baldwin From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemp Cc: chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Dag-Erling Smorgrav In-Reply-To: References: <4.3.2.7.2.20011017120858.046a58a0@localhost> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 11:13 PM 10/16/2001, John Baldwin wrote: >The only remaining trick is >to not preempt during critical sections which are already marked by our >critical_enter/exit API. That's the hardest part: recognizing, in existing code, what's a critical section. It may be non-obvious what will leave the kernel data structures inconsistent in some subtle way -- especially if it involves data values that should not be present at the same time rather than dangling pointers. --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Fri Oct 19 14:53:55 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from femail13.sdc1.sfba.home.com (femail13.sdc1.sfba.home.com [24.0.95.140]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 53BD737B417 for ; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:53:48 -0700 (PDT) Received: from laptop.baldwin.cx ([24.2.39.156]) by femail13.sdc1.sfba.home.com (InterMail vM.4.01.03.20 201-229-121-120-20010223) with ESMTP id <20011019215346.HLXN7396.femail13.sdc1.sfba.home.com@laptop.baldwin.cx>; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:53:46 -0700 Message-ID: X-Mailer: XFMail 1.4.0 on FreeBSD X-Priority: 3 (Normal) Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit MIME-Version: 1.0 In-Reply-To: <4.3.2.7.2.20011018232356.04601a40@localhost> Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 14:53:38 -0700 (PDT) From: John Baldwin To: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Breaking news: FreeBSD is "considering implementing a preemp Cc: Dag-Erling Smorgrav , chat@FreeBSD.ORG Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org On 19-Oct-01 Brett Glass wrote: > At 11:13 PM 10/16/2001, John Baldwin wrote: > >>The only remaining trick is >>to not preempt during critical sections which are already marked by our >>critical_enter/exit API. > > That's the hardest part: recognizing, in existing code, what's a > critical section. It may be non-obvious what will leave the kernel data > structures inconsistent in some subtle way -- especially if it involves > data values that should not be present at the same time rather than > dangling pointers. Actually this isn't all that hard. You see, we already mark them iwth the critical_enter/exit API I described. The trick I was referring to was the code in critical_exit() to check the PS_OWEPREEMPT flag when critnest gets down to 0. The only places that (so far) have needed an additional explicit critical section in current (it is already implicitly guaranteed in the non-preemption case right now by having interrupts disabled) are the fast interrupt handlers. More specifically, hardclock(), since it can switch to softclock()'s software interrupt thread. However, this is really not all that hard to do. I think I had it running on my laptop at Usenix in about a day, and fixed that missing critical sectoin a couple of days later which was enough for UP x86 and most of UP alpha in only a couple of days work. Since spin mutexes already contain a critical section, most of the critical sections are already protected in -current. Having locks on data (i.e. mutexes, sx locks, etc.) are what prevent the corruption you describe, and that really isn't that difficult. > --Brett -- John Baldwin -- http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/ PGP Key: http://www.baldwin.cx/~john/pgpkey.asc "Power Users Use the Power to Serve!" - http://www.FreeBSD.org/ To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Fri Oct 19 15:44:23 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from freebsd.moondog.org (freebsd.moondog.org [208.186.117.46]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id E637437B401 for ; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:44:15 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from elden@localhost) by freebsd.moondog.org (8.11.6/8.11.6) id f9JMiEn43494 for freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:44:14 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from moon_dog@spamcop.net) X-Authentication-Warning: freebsd.moondog.org: elden set sender to moon_dog@spamcop.net using -f Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 15:44:14 -0700 From: Elden Fenison To: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) Message-ID: <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> Mail-Followup-To: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG References: <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i In-Reply-To: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr>; from rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in on Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:29:49PM +0200 X-Mailer: Mutt 1.2.5i X-Operating-System: FreeBSD 4.4 Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org * On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 01:29:49PM +0200, Rahul Siddharthan wrote: [snip] > Christianity has become modernised by permitting questioning of the > Bible and rejecting parts of it; if you believe the Bible is the > literal truth, not only will your views be medieval and somewhat > barbaric, but they may to large extents be self-contradictory. This is simply false. Christianity teaches that the Bible is 100% God-inspired truth. This "modernized" Christianity you speak of is not Christianity at all. -- -=Elden=- http://www.moondog.org To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Fri Oct 19 19:52: 9 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6EFB037B407 for ; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 19:52:06 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id UAA15951; Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:51:49 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2001 20:51:45 -0600 To: Elden Fenison , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) In-Reply-To: <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 04:44 PM 10/19/2001, Elden Fenison wrote: >> Christianity has become modernised by permitting questioning of the >> Bible and rejecting parts of it; if you believe the Bible is the >> literal truth, not only will your views be medieval and somewhat >> barbaric, but they may to large extents be self-contradictory. > >This is simply false. Christianity teaches that the Bible is 100% >God-inspired truth. This "modernized" Christianity you speak of is not >Christianity at all. Many religious sects and splinter groups, throughout time, have adopted popular "holy" books but picked and chosen which parts to accept as binding upon them. A good recent example of an unconventional Christian sect is the Worldwide Church of God, whose founder, radio preacher Edwin Armstrong, believed that many injunctions in the Biblical "Old Testament" should be honored. The group celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles, but not Christmas, which they believed -- probably correctly -- to be an adaptation of pagan winter solstice rituals rather than the actual anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. Other groups -- including mainstream Christians and the Mormons -- believe that the Old Testament is divine but that mankind was given new marching orders, as it were, at a later date. In short, even holy books which are claimed to be the "word of God" are malleable. Islam has much stronger built-in defense mechanisms against such revisionism than most religions, however. --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 0:44:49 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from freebsd.moondog.org (freebsd.moondog.org [208.186.117.46]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 1BA0E37B403 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:44:41 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from elden@localhost) by freebsd.moondog.org (8.11.6/8.11.6) id f9K7iR245122; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:44:27 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from moon_dog@spamcop.net) X-Authentication-Warning: freebsd.moondog.org: elden set sender to moon_dog@spamcop.net using -f Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 00:44:27 -0700 From: Elden Fenison To: Brett Glass Cc: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) Message-ID: <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> Mail-Followup-To: Brett Glass , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i In-Reply-To: <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost>; from brett@lariat.org on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 08:51:45PM -0600 X-Operating-System: FreeBSD 4.4 Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org * On Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 08:51:45PM -0600, Brett Glass wrote: > Other groups -- including mainstream Christians and the Mormons -- > believe that the Old Testament is divine but that mankind was given > new marching orders, as it were, at a later date. Right... the Bible itself... and actually Jesus' own words pretty much tell us that much of the Old Testament law was "superceded" by the New Testament teachings. > In short, even holy books which are claimed to be the "word of God" > are malleable. Islam has much stronger built-in defense mechanisms > against such revisionism than most religions, however. Yes, I've recently heard the same thing elsewhere. It seems to me that it pretty much invalidates a teaching when one is allowed to pick and choose what parts of that teaching suits them and what parts do not. Especially when one of the foundations of that teaching states that the teaching in it's entirety is divinely inspired (as Christianity does). It's human instinct to rationalize away rules we don't wish to follow, but Christianity clearly teaches that God makes the rules, we don't. If we are allowed to toss out a portion of the Bible for whatever reason, we are no longer following God, but our own will, and essentially making our own rules. My apologies to the list, as I know this is not a religious discussion list. But someone did bring this up, so I felt a response was in order. As a side note, I've found this discussion about the events of 9/11 and the various ramifications to be very stimulating. In particular I've really appreciated the contributions from Terry Lambert. So many of the posts were very well put and thought out... and I'm afraid well beyond my league. So I'll shut up now and read some more. Cheers. :) -- -=Elden=- http://www.moondog.org To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 5:21:57 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from r220-1.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE (r220-1.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE [134.130.3.31]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 40B2837B403 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 05:21:55 -0700 (PDT) Received: from r220-1.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE (relay2.RWTH-Aachen.DE [134.130.3.1]) by r220-1.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE (8.10.1/8.11.3-2) with ESMTP id f9KCLpj05785; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:21:51 +0200 (MEST) Received: from kawoserv.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de (root@kawoserv.kawo2.RWTH-Aachen.DE [134.130.180.1]) by r220-1.rz.RWTH-Aachen.DE (8.10.1/8.11.3/6) with ESMTP id f9KCLno05780; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:21:50 +0200 (MEST) Received: from fump.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de (root@fump.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de [134.130.181.148]) by kawoserv.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id OAA02342; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:21:51 +0200 Received: (from alex@localhost) by fump.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de (8.11.3/8.11.3) id f9KCMeu08146; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:22:40 +0200 (CEST) (envelope-from alex) Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 14:22:37 +0200 From: Alexander Langer To: "Matthew N. Dodd" Cc: The Anarcat , chat@FreeBSD.org Subject: Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/conf GENERIC Message-ID: <20011020142237.A8065@fump.kawo2.rwth-aachen.de> Mail-Followup-To: Alexander Langer , "Matthew N. Dodd" , The Anarcat , chat@FreeBSD.org References: <20011019230359.A1253@shall.anarcat.dyndns.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i In-Reply-To: ; from winter@jurai.net on Fri, Oct 19, 2001 at 11:26:39PM -0400 X-PGP-Fingerprint: 44 28 CA 4C 46 5B D3 A8 A8 E3 BA F3 4E 60 7D 7F X-PGP-at: finger alex@big.endian.de X-Verwirrung: Dieser Header dient der allgemeinen Verwirrung. Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Thus spake Matthew N. Dodd (winter@jurai.net): > > /me looks with sadness at its stack of 486s he intended to develop a > > -current libh on.. :( > You've actually got 486SXs? Man, -I- don't even have those. I can get you one if you like :) Alex To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 8:41:26 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from mail015.syd.optusnet.com.au (mail015.syd.optusnet.com.au [203.2.75.178]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id A321F37B401 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 08:41:23 -0700 (PDT) Received: from optusnet.com.au (golax7-234.dialup.optusnet.com.au [198.142.181.234]) by mail015.syd.optusnet.com.au (8.11.1/8.11.1) with ESMTP id f9KFe2l06089; Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:40:03 +1000 Message-ID: <3BD19B9D.C290DEE3@optusnet.com.au> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 01:43:25 +1000 From: Ian Pulsford X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.78 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Brett Glass , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Brett Glass wrote: > > > Many religious sects and splinter groups, throughout time, have > adopted popular "holy" books but picked and chosen which parts > to accept as binding upon them. A good recent example of an > unconventional Christian sect is the Worldwide Church of God, > whose founder, radio preacher Edwin Armstrong, believed that > many injunctions in the Biblical "Old Testament" should be > honored. The group celebrated the Feast of Tabernacles, but > not Christmas, which they believed -- probably correctly -- > to be an adaptation of pagan winter solstice rituals rather > than the actual anniversary of the birth of Jesus of Nazareth. The bible, as we have it today, is a selection made by the early Roman church and later revisions. Many texts didn't make the cut, now known as apocryphal or non-cannonical texts. Even modern catholic and protestant bibles are different. IanP To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 11:45:17 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lists.blarg.net (lists.blarg.net [206.124.128.17]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id A625937B407 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:45:13 -0700 (PDT) Received: from thig.blarg.net (thig.blarg.net [206.124.128.18]) by lists.blarg.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 41075BD10 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:45:13 -0700 (PDT) Received: from localhost.localdomain ([206.124.139.115]) by thig.blarg.net (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id LAA00331 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:45:12 -0700 Received: (from jojo@localhost) by localhost.localdomain (8.11.6/8.11.3) id f9KIhk441979; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 11:43:46 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from swear@blarg.net) To: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> From: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen) Date: 20 Oct 2001 11:43:45 -0700 In-Reply-To: <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> Message-ID: Lines: 61 User-Agent: Gnus/5.0808 (Gnus v5.8.8) XEmacs/21.1 (Cuyahoga Valley) MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Elden Fenison writes: > Right... the Bible itself... and actually Jesus' own words pretty much > tell us that much of the Old Testament law was "superceded" by the New > Testament teachings. ... > It seems to me that > it pretty much invalidates a teaching when one is allowed to pick and > choose what parts of that teaching suits them and what parts do not. > Especially when one of the foundations of that teaching states that the > teaching in it's entirety is divinely inspired (as Christianity does). ... > If > we are allowed to toss out a portion of the Bible for whatever reason, > we are no longer following God, but our own will, and essentially making > our own rules. Some people who call themselves Christians believe that the Bible does not contain the words of Jesus, but only a few second-hand memories of old men and many concoctions, very much influenced by their philosophical, theological, and even political biases. It's hard to see how such Christians are left with enough to build a religion around, but but they seem to do well enough by building upon "love" (of God and Man) which everyone agrees is the main message of Jesus (Matt 22:36-40). The rest, who believe that the Bible's words of Jesus are either authentic or divinely inspired and reliable, have have a couple of problems regarding extra-biblical beliefs. The first is too complex to explain well, but it has to do with the authority given to the apostles (and maybe some of their "descendants"). Many believe that the early church was given various extra-biblical teachings with all of authority of God himself. Some think that's still true in some circumstances. The second is Jesus' supposed words: "But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your rememberance all that I said to you". This is a very large loophole indeed, which many use liberally. So, while I might think that Christians "should" base their beliefs on the Bible, I have to admit that people who don't should be "allowed" to call themselves Christian too. Matt 23:23: Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others. Note the last phrase. Some few claim that is Christian doctrine, coming from the mouth of Christ. Others have latched onto the "justice and mercy" part (at least in words) while they and almost all other Christians have neglected the lighter provisions of the law. The very early Christians (mostly, but not all Jews) didn't, but later ones did, initially under the influence of Paul who claimed direct divine guidance. Each of these things has a counter-argument, of course, but surely Christianity has many definitions, and people shouldn't casually speak as if it has only one. Same for "free software" - that other religion. To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 12:12:23 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from raven.mail.pas.earthlink.net (raven.mail.pas.earthlink.net [207.217.120.39]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id DAA8C37B401 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:12:21 -0700 (PDT) Received: from dialup-209.244.107.50.dial1.sanjose1.level3.net ([209.244.107.50] helo=mindspring.com) by raven.mail.pas.earthlink.net with esmtp (Exim 3.33 #1) id 15v1Xg-0000is-00; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:12:20 -0700 Message-ID: <3BD1CCC8.6923E04F@mindspring.com> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 12:13:12 -0700 From: Terry Lambert Reply-To: tlambert2@mindspring.com X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.7 [en]C-CCK-MCD {Sony} (Win98; U) X-Accept-Language: en MIME-Version: 1.0 To: Elden Fenison Cc: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) References: <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Elden Fenison wrote: > This is simply false. Christianity teaches that the Bible is 100% > God-inspired truth. This "modernized" Christianity you speak of is not > Christianity at all. I think perhaps you are confusing Christians and Bibliots. The Bible is not entirely concerned with the life and teachings of Christ, and covers many other subjects, as well, including Moseic law, etc.. You really don't have to be a Bibliot to be a Christian, or vice versa (much of the New Testament conflicts with the Old Testament, with regard to weather or not you should kill the offender, or turn the other cheek). -- Terry To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 15:33:20 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from aragorn.neomedia.it (aragorn.neomedia.it [195.103.207.6]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id E7BEC37B401 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 15:33:16 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from httpd@localhost) by aragorn.neomedia.it (8.11.4/8.11.4) id f9KMX8a26436; Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:33:08 +0200 (CEST) To: Terry Lambert Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) Message-ID: <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it> Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 00:33:07 +0200 (CEST) From: Salvo Bartolotta Cc: Elden Fenison , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG MIME-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1 Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit User-Agent: IMP/PHP IMAP webmail program 2.2.4-cvs X-WebMail-Company: Neomedia s.a.s. X-Originating-IP: 62.98.171.248 Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org Terry Lambert wrote: > Elden Fenison wrote: >> This is simply false. Christianity teaches that the Bible is 100% >> God-inspired truth. This "modernized" Christianity you speak of is not >> Christianity at all. > I think perhaps you are confusing Christians and Bibliots. The Bible as a whole is considered a collection of inspired books; the development, or changes (esp. from OT to NT) being seen as subsequent moments of God's Word. Otherwise stated, God chose to say different things at different historical times -- or according to different historical times, if you prefer. However, scholars recognize, as it were, an _organic_ design (or divine perspective, if you like) underlying the whole Bible. That's "interpretation". By the way, the _striking universality_ of the NT should set you thinking -- whether you are an atheist or not. It is immaterial that a number of people (eg certain popes) have used the Bible and religion at large to achieve their goals. Inter alia, it is written: _Nolite possidere_...(!) I am not sure whether the same could be said of the Koran. Recently, I have spoken with a few historians of religion, among others. I was explicitly told that the "organic design" contained in the Koran is one of the worst forms of _totalitarianism_. In particular, the "moderate" parts in the Koran are only a means to an end. I have been revising a number of things lately. My history textbooks -- I live in Italy -- simply described the splendid Islamic civilization in the Mediterranean (well, in Spain and especially in Sicily), as well as its far-reaching cultural influence on Western thought. They were deliberately lying: a few ahem "minor" aspects (eg earlier massacres) were "omitted" or hinted at. Moreover, that's just _one part_ of the story: the western part. The _eastern_ part of the story is horrible to say the least. I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate" Islam at all. Of course, strong political reasons make all western political leaders speak of ahem "moderate Islam". Alas, you know... veritas parit odium. -- Salvo To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 17:43:56 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from wantadilla.lemis.com (wantadilla.lemis.com [192.109.197.80]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 4173137B403 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:43:48 -0700 (PDT) Received: by wantadilla.lemis.com (Postfix, from userid 1004) id 7D2DD6A90F; Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:13:45 +0930 (CST) Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2001 10:13:45 +0930 From: Greg Lehey To: Salvo Bartolotta Cc: Terry Lambert , Elden Fenison , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror)) Message-ID: <20011021101345.A28033@wantadilla.lemis.com> References: <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i In-Reply-To: <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it>; from bartequi@neomedia.it on Sun, Oct 21, 2001 at 12:33:07AM +0200 Organization: The FreeBSD Project Phone: +61-8-8388-8286 Fax: +61-8-8388-8725 Mobile: +61-418-838-708 WWW-Home-Page: http://www.FreeBSD.org/ X-PGP-Fingerprint: 6B 7B C3 8C 61 CD 54 AF 13 24 52 F8 6D A4 95 EF Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org On Sunday, 21 October 2001 at 0:33:07 +0200, Salvo Bartolotta wrote: > > I am not sure whether the same could be said of the Koran. > Recently, I have spoken with a few historians of religion, among > others. I was explicitly told that the "organic design" contained > in the Koran is one of the worst forms of _totalitarianism_. In > particular, the "moderate" parts in the Koran are only a means to an > end. I've tried to read the Quran, and I've found it very hard going. The Bible is a model of clarity by comparison. The Quran brings home very forcibly that its scribe was not a learned man. I don't think you can interpret much more into its form. > I have been revising a number of things lately. My history > textbooks -- I live in Italy -- simply described the splendid > Islamic civilization in the Mediterranean (well, in Spain and > especially in Sicily), as well as its far-reaching cultural > influence on Western thought. All valid points. > They were deliberately lying: No, like most historians they were looking at the parts which interested them. > a few ahem "minor" aspects (eg earlier massacres) were "omitted" or > hinted at. Moreover, that's just _one part_ of the story: the > western part. The _eastern_ part of the story is horrible to say > the least. You mean the Eastern story of the atrocities committed by Christians? Those were violent times. I don't think the Muslims were worse than the Christians. > I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate" > Islam at all. Could you explain that? There may be fewer Muslims who just pay lip service to their religion than there are Christians, but I wouldn't even be sure about that. I grew up in Malaysia, a country with Islam as its state religion. While I don't approve at all of enforced religion (if you're Malay, you *must* be Muslim), until this Mulslim fundamentalism thing sprung up, I found Islam a very gentle religion. For most people, it still is. > Of course, strong political reasons make all western political > leaders speak of ahem "moderate Islam". As opposed to moderate Christianity or moderate Judaism? Members of all three religions continue to commit atrocities in the name of their religion. Greg -- See complete headers for address and phone numbers To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 17:47:16 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from freebsd.moondog.org (freebsd.moondog.org [208.186.117.46]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 6C9D037B401 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:47:09 -0700 (PDT) Received: (from elden@localhost) by freebsd.moondog.org (8.11.6/8.11.6) id f9L0l7o00988; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:47:07 -0700 (PDT) (envelope-from moon_dog@spamcop.net) X-Authentication-Warning: freebsd.moondog.org: elden set sender to moon_dog@spamcop.net using -f Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 17:47:07 -0700 From: Elden Fenison To: "Gary W. Swearingen" Cc: freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) Message-ID: <20011020174707.E732@moondog.org> Mail-Followup-To: "Gary W. Swearingen" , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii Content-Disposition: inline User-Agent: Mutt/1.2.5i In-Reply-To: ; from swear@blarg.net on Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 11:43:45AM -0700 X-Mailer: Mutt 1.2.5i X-Operating-System: FreeBSD 4.4 Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org * On Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 11:43:45AM -0700, Gary W. Swearingen wrote: > Each of these things has a counter-argument, of course, but surely > Christianity has many definitions, and people shouldn't casually speak > as if it has only one. Same for "free software" - that other > religion. Point taken. I guess I could be labeled a "fundementalist". (which I have no problem with) I've always believed that the Bible is the foundation and authoritative definition of the Christian faith and any thinking or teaching "called" Christian should be measured against it. -- -=Elden=- http://www.moondog.org To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 20:23:52 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id AE72337B403 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:23:50 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id VAA26490; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:23:34 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011020212118.048eb010@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:23:28 -0600 To: Ian Pulsford , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) In-Reply-To: <3BD19B9D.C290DEE3@optusnet.com.au> References: <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 09:43 AM 10/20/2001, Ian Pulsford wrote: >The bible, as we have it today, is a selection made by the early Roman >church and later revisions. Many texts didn't make the cut, now known >as apocryphal or non-cannonical texts. Even modern catholic and >protestant bibles are different. Almost, but not quite. The portion called the "Old Testament" -- known to Jews as the "Tanach" (Torah, Prophets, and Writings) -- was canonized by the Pharisees. The "New Testament" was canonized by the early Catholic church. --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 20:30:32 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id 235A137B406 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:30:30 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id VAA26561; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:30:16 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011020212438.048ec760@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:30:10 -0600 To: swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen), freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) In-Reply-To: References: <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20010924170815.0180aee8@threespace.com> <20010925001027.A750@lpt.ens.fr> <4.3.2.7.2.20011003210717.0442cb20@localhost> <20011004132949.D16297@lpt.ens.fr> <20011019154414.A43110@moondog.org> <4.3.2.7.2.20011019203955.0464d920@localhost> <20011020004426.A45044@moondog.org> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 12:43 PM 10/20/2001, Gary W. Swearingen wrote: >The rest, who believe that the Bible's words of Jesus are either >authentic or divinely inspired and reliable, have have a couple of >problems regarding extra-biblical beliefs. Interestingly, many Christians have "extra-biblical" beliefs that they DO NOT KNOW are extra-biblical, even though they clearly sprung from the fertile imaginations of much later authors. For example, many treat elements from the fanciful accounts of Dante and Milton as "gospel" -- to the extent that, when asked, they will claim that fanciful assertions from these almost modern writers' works are part of the Bible and hence the "word of God." >Each of these things has a counter-argument, of course, but surely >Christianity has many definitions, and people shouldn't casually speak >as if it has only one. Same for "free software" - that other religion. Agreed. --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 20:38:38 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id F280F37B401 for ; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:38:36 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id VAA26619; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:38:20 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011020213112.0489f2f0@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:38:14 -0600 To: Salvo Bartolotta , Terry Lambert From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror) Cc: Elden Fenison , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG In-Reply-To: <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 04:33 PM 10/20/2001, Salvo Bartolotta wrote: >I now gather that, at a doctrinal level, there exists no "moderate" Islam at >all. You are correct. In fact, according to Islamic law and doctrine, the creation or even the advocacy of a "moderate" Islam is itself punishable by immoderate measures (i.e. death). > Of course, strong political reasons make all western political leaders >speak of ahem "moderate Islam". What they're speaking of, of course, is tolerance and separation of church and state. Which the religion forbids but which many -- especially Turkish Muslims -- practice anyway. According to the doctrine of the religion, these people are apostates, because Islam forbids tolerance of infidels. (Again, see http://www.secularislam.org/) --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message From owner-freebsd-chat Sat Oct 20 20:40:25 2001 Delivered-To: freebsd-chat@freebsd.org Received: from lariat.org (lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by hub.freebsd.org (Postfix) with ESMTP id EBED137B403; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 20:40:22 -0700 (PDT) Received: from mustang.lariat.org (IDENT:ppp0.lariat.org@lariat.org [12.23.109.2]) by lariat.org (8.9.3/8.9.3) with ESMTP id VAA26640; Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:40:13 -0600 (MDT) Message-Id: <4.3.2.7.2.20011020213927.048a1780@localhost> X-Sender: brett@localhost X-Mailer: QUALCOMM Windows Eudora Version 4.3.2 Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2001 21:40:08 -0600 To: Greg Lehey , Salvo Bartolotta From: Brett Glass Subject: Re: Islam (was: Religions (was Re: helping victims of terror)) Cc: Terry Lambert , Elden Fenison , freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG In-Reply-To: <20011021101345.A28033@wantadilla.lemis.com> References: <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it> <1003617187.3bd1fba3d31ff@webmail.neomedia.it> Mime-Version: 1.0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii" Sender: owner-freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG Precedence: bulk List-ID: List-Archive: (Web Archive) List-Help: (List Instructions) List-Subscribe: List-Unsubscribe: X-Loop: FreeBSD.org At 06:43 PM 10/20/2001, Greg Lehey wrote: >As opposed to moderate Christianity or moderate Judaism? Members of >all three religions continue to commit atrocities in the name of their >religion. Oh? And what "atrocities" have Jews "contined to commit" in the name of their religion? --Brett To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org with "unsubscribe freebsd-chat" in the body of the message