Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 02:06:24 -0500
From:      Andrew Hesford <ajh3@chmod.ath.cx>
To:        Jeffrey Adzima <jeff@lasrlink.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: System Crash, can't find my way back.

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 06:44:56PM -0700, Jeffrey Adzima wrote:
> I hope I've reached the right group and that you can help. I can't seem to
> subscribe as majordomo says: **** Your subscription request to freebsd was
> rejected. **** Your address must contain an "@" symbol. Not quite sure how
> else to subscribe, so anyway I thought I would send a question directly to
> the group. would you kindly respond directly to me as I won't see the
> threads in the list. Thanks. Anyway here's the situation; I had a power
> failure that I didn't catch right away, but it affected my BSD box, as I
> was rebooting the machine we incurred a second power failure, upon the
> third attempt to reboot, my system gives the following output:
>
> /dev/ad0s1a: FILESYSTEM CLEAN, SKIPPING CHECKS
> /dev/ad0s1a: clean, 22363 free (314 frags, 2756 blocks, 0.6% fragmentation)
> /dev/ad0s1f: FILESYSTEM CLEAN, SKIPPING CHECKS
> /dev/ad0s1f: clean, 10680773 free (34093 frags, 1330835 blocks, 0.3%
> fragmentation)
> /dev/ad0s1e: LINK COUNT DIR I=30 OWNER=root MODE=40755
> /dev/ad0s1e: SIZE=512 MTIME=Apr 7 23:44 2001 COUNT 2 SHOULD BE 3
> /dev/ad0s1e: LINK COUNT INCREASING
> /dev/ad0s1e: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY, RUN fsck MANUALLY
> THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAS AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
> 	/dev/ad0s1e: (/var)
>
> Automatic file system check failed......help!
> Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /bin/sh:
>

> I entered the /bin/csh for the shell and tried to bop around in there, but
> could find any files that I could use, i.e. pico, vi, couldn't find fsck.
> I'm booting into single user mode, but when I try to use fsck it tells me
> the command can't be found. Need some direction here, any help would be
> greatly appreciated. thanks.

Try this:

	/sbin/fsck /var
	/sbin/fsck /usr
	(similarly for other top-level mounts)

In order to use fsck on deeper-level partitions (e.g., /usr/home if you
keep that separate) without calling the device name, you would need to
mount the top-level partition (in this example, /usr) beforehand. That
is, if you want

	/sbin/fsck /usr/home,

you need to mount /usr. Otherwise,

	/sbin/fsck /dev/ad0s1e

will work just fine if that is your /usr/home. When you have checked all
the auto-mounted file systems, you can either do

	/sbin/mount -u /
	/sbin/mount -a

to fool around, or simply reboot and let the machine come up on its own.
Also, at the shell, you can type "exit" and FreeBSD will finish bringing
itself up (I always like to reboot after a filesystem check, just to
make sure everything comes up fine).

A word of advice: not having a $PATH specified is very annoying, as you
have seen. The next time that error comes up asking for a shell, let it
give you the default shell (/bin/sh). It defines a $PATH for you.

--
Andrew Hesford
ajh3@chmod.ath.cx