Date:      Sun, 10 Feb 2002 09:47:33 +0000
From:      Dominic Marks <dominic_marks@btinternet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apparently random reboots with RELENG_4

Hey,

I've been an experiencing an odd problem since 4.3-STABLE (not sure
of a more precise portion of time) where my desktop machine will
spontaneously reboot. So for I haven't had any luck in finding out
what the problem has been.

Earlier today as I was browsing some web pages I experienced this same
problem. The discs make reseting noises and the the screen goes black,
there is no warning prior to that which I have seen indicating a
problem. The machine was under little or no load at the time and it
had been running for around 30 hours without any problems.

To check if the problem could be hardware related I ran -CURRENT on
this machine for around a month and a half. In this time I experienced
no reboots, but I don't really want to run -CURRENT on this machine
forever.

Due to the rapid way it goes down, does anyone have any suggestions on
how I can go about finding what might be the cause of the problem? At
the moment have really no information to offer as to what might be a
potential cause.

I found this file: /var/crash/minfree, I don't know if it has any
useful meaning in relation to this problem. It contained only the
number 2048.

Clues and Advice appreciated.

--
Dominic