Date:      Sun, 6 Jan 2002 10:04:23 +0100
From:      "Sandi Rakovec" <sandi.rakovec@siol.net>
To:        "Joe & Fhe Barbish" <barbish@a1poweruser.com>
Cc:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Modem callback howto.. HELP.

Thaks for your answer. Let me explain that I have fixed connection through
cable modem so I connect through ed01 and local network connected through
ep01. I have ISDN modem 3COM ISDN PRO TA and one analog 3 COM MODEM.
I do not need dial out to ISP (but would like to learn in case that network
connection fails) and I have only few users (company is small).

====
purchase a multi serial port board that shares one irq and put external
modems on each serial port. Another thing you have to consider is a 56k
modem at your users win box will not get anything better that 28.8 or 33.6
max connection speed to another 56k modem. You can not use cheap winmodems
as FBSD does not have software drives for these mswindows modems. You have
to use modems that have onboard controllers and dsp's.
====

I hope that you don't mean that on client side users have to have also good
modems, as I understand a client must also have some kind of script
installed (to hangup, set to auto answer mode and after losing connection,
set to no answer mode)

=====
If you still want to do this with these limitations I can give you a user
ppp config file that does dialout to isp and dialin for 2 modem. The user
dialin and call back is just one  additional option statement.
=====

So there is no need for additional instalation of software?

I would like to that and even I don't need dialup connection to ISP I would
like to see how it works. If it isn't to hard for you please send those
scripts and explanations of them since I am pretty new to FreeBSD.  Probably
I will have to change also login.conf for mgetty.

Thank's you very much for your time.

Best regards and happy new year.

Sandi