Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 10:26:14 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, jakob@teligent.se
Subject:   Re: Warning: Select failed; error code 22

> I'm having trouble with certain X-programs. I can start the program, for
> example xemacs, and run it for a few seconds, then it hangs and the
> terminal I started it from is full with lines of "Warning: Select failed;
> error code 22". I have to kill them.
> This is *very annoying*.
>
> Anyone that knows about this problem? I've tried switching to another
> window manager without luck.

That's very interesting.  I've experienced the same exact thing but
under Solaris 2.5 and CDE on an RDI Sparcbook.  The windows seem to
lock (as if NUM lock were on in Xfree) and the mouse buttons don't
work correctly.  Sometimes everything will return to normal and
I'll get a few tens of messages saying the same thing:

  Warning: Select failed; error code 22

I narrowed down the problem to a faulty real-time clock on the Sparcbook.
Sometimes it stops ticking (I can see this from Open Boot Prom) and that's
when everything gets weird (which is what you'd expect!).  When the
clock starts ticking again, the above warning messages spew out.

Gotta bad clock?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org