Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 15:07:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matt Dillon <dillon@earth.backplane.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG, rps@merlin.mat.uc.pt
Subject:   Re: Rui Pedro Mendes Salgueiro: erase2 patch (was: 4.2-RELEASE ISO image for x86 updated.)

:> I just received this today and am kind of scratching my head over it.
:> On one hand, creating an "alias" for a one specific piece of terminal
:> character mapping seems a hack; I can see the idea behind wanting to
:> use one of n characters for something like backspacing or line-killing
:> (^U or ^X for example) and would not frown (as much) on a more general
:> aliasing feature.  On the other hand, I can see that this specific
:> case (erase) is by far the most significant.  Which is why I'm
:> forwarding this to arch - this is one of those classic
:> architecture/feature trade-off decisions and I would like to hear more
:> opinions before deciding which way I'd like to respond to this.
:
:This is a very common newbie problem ("Stupid FreeBSD won't let me
:delete what I've typed, it just prints ^H!"). Commit please! :)
:
:Kris

    This is one of those things where, 10 years ago, I would probably
    have been a purist and been opposed to it.

    But after 15+ years of pure hell having to deal with every
    conceivable combination of ^H and ^?, terminal types,
    telnet, rlogin, ssh, and so on and so forth...  I say to
    hell with the purist view on this one.  I'd love to
    see this committed!

						-Matt