Date:      Fri, 22 Aug 1997 11:30:42 -0500
From:      "Rafael A. Reta Rodriguez" <rafareta@mexcom.net>
To:        Douglas Campbell <dcampbell@dgsystems.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: logitech serial mouse not working on com 1 but working fine in windows

Douglas Campbell wrote:

> From what I can gather from the site, setting this up for X-Windows
> should be very straightforward. Unfortunately not for me.
>
> Question: ls -l /dev/cuaa0 tells me that com 1 is a dialer or a member.
> Is this a problem?
Member?
> Question: I linked /dev/mouse to /dev/sysmouse to /dev/cuaa0.  Is this
> off the mark?
/dev/sysmouse is the output from the moused and /dev/cuaa0 is directly
from serial 1, you can ln -s whatever (normaly /dev/cuaa0) /dev/mouse
> Question: What bearing does /etc/sysconfig have on my success or failure
> with the mouse?
I'm not shure, I don't have a /etc/sysconfig
> Question:  If my mouse is logitech serial why microsoft in X? why
Logitech is MS compatible
> mousesystems in X?  (I've tried all types of mice in XF86Setup, the
> mouse does not move at all ever).
If you run moused, the outut from the mouse is redirected in
MouseSystems format to /dev/sysmouse
> Question: What files need to be edited to enable the mouse?
in normal terminal (AltF1) none
in X /etc/XF86Config
> Question:  I rebuilt my kernel the other night.  Was there anything
> special I should have done to enable my mouse?
Not as long as I know
> Question:  Should the mouse work at all outside of X?
If you configure it, Yes

> If any one is kind enough, I'd be happy to attach config files with
> e-mail for trouble shooting this problem.  Sorry for the barrage of
> questions but I'd like to get this small but hugely annoying detail out
> of the way.
I will do it directly to not disturbe this list