Date:      Tue, 6 Nov 2001 02:02:48 -0500
From:      "Bob Hall" <rjhalljr@starpower.net>
To:        freebsd <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   NT-Unix network

I've got a small home LAN with a FreeBSD box serving as Internet
gateway, DNS, and print server for another FreeBSD host and a Win2000
host. Now I'm trying to set up an NT host to use the same services,
but I've come to a problem I can't solve.

I've got the 3Com Ethernet card working properly. I can ping e.g.
www.freebsd.org from the NT host via the Unix gateway. DNS works;
I can nslookup www.freebsd.org from the NT host, or nslookup the
NT host from another host on the LAN. Traceroute and tracert work
fine. However, I can't use the
Unix host as an Internet gateway (e.g. for http) or as a print
server from the NT host.
    C:\>lpq -S sten.alder.net -P lp
returns
    sten.alder.net: lpd: hostname for your address (7.7.7.4) unknown:
    no address associated with hostname
sten is the server at 7.7.7.1. lp is the print queue. gylne is the
NT host at 7.7.7.4.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Bob Hall
--
uname -a
FreeBSD sten.alder.net 4.3-RELEASE FreeBSD 4.3-RELEASE #0: Tue Sep 18 23:17:39 E