Date:      Wed, 1 Sep 1999 16:44:58 -0500
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
To:        Oscar Bonilla <obonilla@fisicc-ufm.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bandwidth measuring tools

In the last episode (Sep 01), Oscar Bonilla said:
> does anyone know about any bandwidth measuring tools I could use with
> a tcpdump capture file?
>
> I need to get measurement on total bandwidth consumed on my primary
> router (which I don't control so SNMP is out of the question).

Even if you don't control it, you should be able to query it.

> I was thinking on making a freebsd box behave as a bridge and quietly
> capture all traffic using tcpdump.
>
> my question is: after I have the dump file, which tool could i use to
> get nice stats like percentage of tcp/http/ftp/smtp/etc and total
> throughput (not per-connection as tcptrace does)?

An easier way would be to do the bridging like you suggested, but
instead of tcpdumping, simply ipfw rules like "count all from any to
any in via ed0" and "... out via ed0", then graph the bytecounts there.

Then a 2-line shell script to run "ipfw show" and massage the data for
mrtg, and you're done.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@emsphone.com