Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2000 08:45:50 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More "ld-elf.so.1: assert failed" messages

In article <13611.952595759@zippy.cdrom.com>,
Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com> wrote:
> > The other possibility would be to fix the wine port so it calls
> > dllockinit() to set up locking.  I don't know for sure how hard that
> > would be, but it's probably a feasible solution.
>
> To be honest, I'd be the most comfortable with this solution

Me too, for 4.0.  Given Donn's reports of trouble with my patches,
I think the timing is just wrong to try and do anything major with
the dynamic linker between now and Monday.  It's too hard to test it.
All the troublesome ports are _huge_ (Mozilla, Wine, ...), and the
failures are timing-dependent and not so easy to reproduce.  Obviously
I'll strive to fix the remaining problems after 4.0 has been tagged.

As far as I know, Wine is the only port that has problems with the
version of the dynamic linker that's in -current at present.  I've
looked into adding the dllockinit() stuff to Wine, but could use
some help from somebody who knows its internals better.  I found
the threads primitives, etc., but am not so sure where to place the
dllockinit() call.

John