Date:      Mon, 3 Nov 1997 20:25:26 -0600 (CST)
From:      Douglas Carmichael <dcarmich@Mcs.Net>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Changes to the text

Here's some things in the text that must be *changed* for the latest
release (the changed lines are marked with an *):

> As you probably know, the next edition of "The Complete FreeBSD" will
> be ready Real Soon Now.  One of the things I haven't been able to
> decide upon is what to put on the back.
>
> The first edition was published in August 1996.  It contained no
> networking chapters at all.  The new edition contains over 200 pages
> on networks and has also been expanded in other areas.  I'm trying to
> find a good text, and I'd like your opinions based on the old one.
> Here it is--let's have some feedback.
>
> ---- cut here ----
> FreeBSDŽ is a full, professional quality UNIX operating system.  FreeBSD
> includes:
*> * Simple installation from CD-ROM as well as floppies, network
     installation hosts, etc.
*> * Coexistence with popular operating systems
*> * Rock-stable performance
*> * A complete development environment

*> FreeBSD is based on the Berkeley 4.4 BSD-Lite code base which has been
*> developed by the University of California at Berkeley and its contributors.

> "FreeBSD is based on the same BSD code base that influenced many commercial
> versions of UNIX." -Byte Magazine
>
> Walnut Creek CDROM relies exclusively on FreeBSD for our 80 Gigabyte, 1250
> user FTP and Web site at ftp.cdrom.com. You'll get network support
> including:

*> * The high-quality, public-domain Apache WWW server.
*> * The original, highly acclaimed industrial strength Berkeley TCP/IP
> networking, the basis of the Internet.
*> * Industry standard NFS and NIS servers with PPP and SLIP support make
     (amd is used on the client, not the server)
> networking a breeze!
*> * Full USENET News and mail reading software (various newsreaders, elm,
pine, mh).

> FreeBSD comes with the industry standard X Window system (X11R6) for the
*> PC, XFree86 3.3.1. You also get a rich set of ready-to-run X utilities such
*> as the fvwm window manager, xv, and others. The system comes with
> complete source code. FreeBSD provides a tightly integrated build system
> that lets you recompile the source tree with one command.

*> FreeBSD comes with acomplete development environment with version 2.6.3 of the
*> GNU C and C++ compilers and GDB debugger. It also comes with packages such as perl,
> Tcl/Tk, scheme, logo, forth, BASIC, ICON and GNU emacs 20.2. For printing you
> get TeX 3.14, ghostscript, Hylafax, and the complete set of AFM fonts.
*> The provided bash, csh, zsh and tcsh shells give you a rich choice of
*> environments. FreeBSD supports ISO 9660 format CD-ROMs with the Rock
*> Ridge extensions.

> This book helps you take your first steps with FreeBSD, from installing the
> system to getting to know the environment. You'll read about detailed
> descriptions of the installation process, including how to share disks
> between FreeBSD and other operating systems. You'll also learn to install
> and configure your X Window System, get to know FreeBSD, and reconfigure
> your FreeBSD kernel.
>
> Requirements: Standard ISA, EISA, VL, or PCI bus based PC (386sx to
> Pentium), 8 MB RAM. 60 MB disk space for a binary-only
> system and 340 MB for development system.
>
> "If you want stable networking or a powerful development environment,
> FreeBSD is the operating system for you!"
> ---- cut here ----
>
> Greg

What do you think?