Date:      Wed, 29 Jul 1998 07:57:37 +0100
From:      Mark Ovens <marko@uk.radan.com>
To:        Lee Johnston <ljohnston@cyberworld.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-users@freebsd-uk.eu.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD not mentioned on NPR "alternative OSes" show

Lee Johnston wrote:

> > I've got to get an address from Chris Bidmead (the guy at PCW) to send
> > the CD's to, and I'm going to offer to e-mail him the 2 FreeBSD
> > Newsletters (better ask first as they as nearly 1MB zipped!) to give him
> > some info about real-world uses of FreeBSD. If you've any suggestions
> > for info to go on a 'flyer' to send with the CD's let me know. I'll send
> > him the CD's as soon as I receive them from you.
>
> Sounds like you've got it planned!
>
> Maybe we should include step by step instructions on how to install FreeBSD,
> but it sounds like he's used FreeBSD before so this will proberbly be pointless.

Yes, no need really, he's not going to have problems with it. Besides which, we
need FreeBSD assessed "as is"

> > Don't know if you read PCW or not, but they put the Hands On sections
> > (which cover all major OS's and several other topics) on the cover CD's
> > in PDF format, covering the preceding 12 months. So if we get a good
> > write-up hopefully we can get permission to post these on suitable Web
> > sites (www.freebsd.org?).
> >
> I read PCW a couple of months back, but I didn't really read the Hands On
> section. I'll buy a copy tomorrow and take a look.

When you do, take a look on the CD at /handson/pdfs/unix.pdf and find the March
1998 pages. This is where he reports about installing via ftp the version he
current has. In it he praises the FreeBSD team for a simple install routine and
make other favourable comments.

The whole file is several MB in size so I can't attach it to an e-mail. However,
we have the complete Acrobat suite at work so I'll see if it is possible to
extract sections from a PDF.

> I'm sure the permission thing will be no problem, if it is we could put
> it up on the User Group site and get a link from www.freebsd.org.

Yes

> Do you think I should phone any other magazines??? I know Computer
> Shopper recently published a good review of FreeBSD by Mike James.

Good idea. I read that arcticle, very good review. Bill Poel who writes for
Shopper gives good, balanced, objective comments on OS's, maybe he would be a
better target at Shopper. His e-mail address is <william@poel.co.uk>

--
CNC Apps Engineer           | One of the main causes of the fall |