Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 00:38:09 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@marcuscom.com>
To:        sam wun <sam.wun@authtec.net>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing on a machine with no PS/2 ports (USB only)

--=-mN1LKBcrtSm9LYwunMBE

On Wed, 2004-10-27 at 00:34, sam wun wrote:
> Joe Marcus Clarke wrote:
>=20
> >However, once I'm in sysinstall, I'm out of luck.
> > =20
> >
> Have you tried the following options:
> " usbd", "Enable USB daemon (detect USB attach / detach) ?

I don't even have the system installed.  I know the keyboard will work
fine once I get things up and running, but I have to get there first.

>=20
> >I tried disconnecting the keyboard at boot time to see if I could get a
> >serial console to do the installation, but that didn't work.  The
> >console was still detected as internal video.  Any ideas on how I can
> >get FreeBSD on this machine (Dell OptiPlex GX280)?  Thanks.
> >
> > =20
> >
> I m surprised the serial mode doesn't work.
> I believe you need to change one of the tty device in the /etc/tty file=20
> to enable serial mode.

Yes, once I get things up and running, I can start a getty, but for now,
I just need to get the OS installed.  I think I need to make floppies
with a boot.config file that tells FreeBSD to use the serial console.  I
think I'll give that a shot.

Joe

>=20
> Sam.