Date:      Wed, 26 Dec 2001 05:26:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@hub.freebsd.org>
To:        andreas@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: well already have been charged :-( (was Re: FreeBSD Foundation Accepts Donations via PayPal)

Andreas,

	thank you for your report on using PayPal.  the FreeBSD
	mailing lists are probably not the place to enter into a
	detailed discussion on this.

	The Foundation opened a PayPal account at the recommendation
	of a number of individuals.  so far, our experience with
	PayPal has been good.  we expect that it will continue to be
	good.

	PayPal transfers money between its account holders.  in order
	to donate money to the Foundation using PayPal, one needs a
	PayPal account.  Part of creating a PayPal account is
	"tying" that account to a real money account from a
	bank...such as a checking account or a credit card account.
	From your report, i gather that for overseas residents, PayPal
	insists on a credit card...they then give you a $5 sign up
	bonus.

	PayPal is meant as a easy method of donation, particularly for
	those that find checks difficult for any of a variety of
	reasons.  for the Foundation checks have the advantage that
	there is no service fee....we would welcome a check in place
	of a PayPal donation.

	Thank you for trying to donate to the Foundation.

Jonathan M Bresler
President, The FreeBSD Foundation