Date:      Mon, 17 Mar 2003 09:38:32 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Guus der Kinderen <guusdk@planet.nl>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Vinum Question

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

Incorrect quotation.

On Sunday, 16 March 2003 at 22:54:53 +0100, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
> At 15:41 16-3-2003 -0600, David W. Chapman Jr. wrote:
>
>> I had a drive crash on a vinum stripeset, so I put two new drives in and
>> decided to setup a mirror
>>
>> I noticed that only one drive was actively being used according to systat
>> -iostat
>>
>> doing a vinum dumpconfig it appears one of the disks was not set up
>> properly
>>
>> What do I need to do to get the other drive back online?
>>
>> volume mirror state up
>> plex name mirror.p0 state up org concat vol mirror
>> plex name mirror.p1 state faulty org concat vol mirror
>> sd name mirror.p0.s0 drive d1 plex mirror.p0 len 71684096s driveoffset
>> 265s state up plexoffset 0s
>> sd name mirror.p1.s0 drive d2 plex mirror.p1 len 71684096s driveoffset
>> 265s state empty plexoffset 0s
>
> I did a little experimenting with vinum on my own, and used a
> (corrected) howto for vinum"
>
> After these operations, the configuration will not be correct. It's
> possible you'd miss it if you abuse dumpconfig to display the
> configuration, but the subdisks usr.p1.s0 and var.p1.s0 will be in
> empty state, and the plexes usr.p1 and var.p1 will be faulty:

This appears to be a partial message.  I'm not sure what you're trying
to say.=20

> If I'm right, that's simmilar as what's happening to you. To fix
> this, do this (for the disks in the example given in that howto)
>
>> To start them, use the init command.

No, that writes zeroes to the plex, hardly what you want.

>> Alternatively, modify your configuration to:
>>
>> volume usr setupstate
>>  plex org concat
>>    sd length 14887091s drive drive1
>>  plex org concat
>>    sd length 14887091s drive drive2
>>
>> to indicate that any discrepancies in the content can be ignored,
>> since you will be doing a newfs on the volume.

David doesn't appear to want to run newfs.

> Look at this page for the entire howto:
> http://www.lemis.com/grog/vinum-mirrored-corrected.html - it worked
> for me

IIRC this is a draft.  I've removed it.  The correct documentation is
at http://www.vinumvm.org/vinum/replacing-drive.html.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text. =20

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk

--UugvWAfsgieZRqgk--