Date:      Tue, 17 May 2005 15:39:16 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        platanthera <platanthera@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: write failed filesystem full on fresh install of 5.4

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

On Sun, May 15, 2005 at 05:52:54PM +0200, platanthera wrote:
> On Saturday 14 May 2005 23:30, Ross Adams Lippert wrote:
> > I'm sorry I was not more specific.
> >
> > /var has 256MB
> > /tmp has 256
> > / has 256
> > /usr has 4500MB
> > newfs had been run on everything.
> >
> > ftp was passive.
> >
> > Since base is about 46MB of material, it seems it could put it
> > anywhere.
> >
> > This occurs 3% of the way into the extration of base into / via
> > ftp.  I did burn a CD and install off of that in the end and the
> > problem went away.
> >

> > -r

>=20
> it's not a problem of your fs layout.
>=20
> i ran into the same problem during 5.4/i386/ftp installation. i can't =20
> recall the specific circumstances (probably i did something wrong), but=
=20
> during the next attempt (after rebooting) it didn't reappear.=20

It's something that happens if you make a mistake in sysinstall and
attempt to re-do an earlier step.  For unknown reasons, sysinstall
then ends up trying to install the system onto the memory-disk it uses
as the root filesystem, rather than onto the actual hard drive.

   Cheers,

   Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Tilmanstone
Tel: +44 1304 617253                                  Kent, CT14 0JL UK

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO

--M9NhX3UHpAaciwkO--