Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 08:05:47 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: updating ports after upgrade (was Re: README.TXT and RELNOTES.TXT  not updated before release tag?)

Vivek Khera wrote:

> KS> The port people seemed to be keeping up in most cases but I was
> KS> wondering if there was a policy on rebuilding your ports on new
> KS> releases or simply letting well enough alone until you find something
> KS> that is broken.
>
> If it ain't broke, don't fix it is my general motto WRT computers.  As
> mentioned earlier, about the only thing that needs to get updated is
> lsof since it is tied to the OS version identifier string.  It might
> still work but will complain.  Other than that, if something is broken
> or you need a new feature from a newer version, then that's a reason
> to upgrade it.  Otherwise why waste the time?

I have a tendancy to follow that policy. There are some areas such as
graphics and others that are always improving. I've found over the
years that it is better to keep uptodate with in a window of what is
current. This is especially true if your hardware is starting to get a
little out of date because the people will be programming for the new
stuff and forget about the old. If you wait too long, you can be
totally cut off.

FWIW, I tried to update lsof and was successfull on 2 machines but the
build died on the 3rd machine with

===>  Building for lsof-4.50
(cd lib; make DEBUG="-O" CFGF="-pipe -DFREEBSDV=200 -DHASFDESCFS=1
-DHASFDLINK -
DHASPROCFS -DHAS9660FS -DHASIPv6 -DLSOF_VSTR=\"4.1-STABLE\"")
cc  -pipe -DFREEBSDV=200 -DHASFDESCFS=1 -DHASFDLINK -DHASPROCFS
-DHAS9660FS -DHA
SIPv6 -DLSOF_VSTR="4.1-STABLE" -I/usr/include -I/usr/src/sys -O -c
ckkv.c
In file included from ../dlsof.h:110,
                 from ../lsof.h:167,
                 from ckkv.c:43:
/usr/include/ufs/mfs/mfsnode.h:49: field `buf_queue' has incomplete
type
In file included from ../dlsof.h:121,
                 from ../lsof.h:167,
                 from ckkv.c:43:
/usr/include/nfs/nfs.h:207: syntax error before `NFSKERBKEY_T'
/usr/include/nfs/nfs.h:218: syntax error before `NFSKERBKEY_T'
In file included from ../dlsof.h:195,
                 from ../lsof.h:167,
                 from ckkv.c:43:
/usr/include/vm/vm_map.h:180: field `vm_pmap' has incomplete type
*** Error code 1
\

The Makefile was looking for a 4.51 file that it can't find but is
satisfied with the 4.50 file.

Kent

> --

Kent Stewart
Richland, WA

mailto:kbstew99@hotmail.com

Bomber dropping fire retardant in front of Hanford Wild fire.
http://kstewart.urx.com/kstewart/bomber.jpg