Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 09:04:15 -0500 (EST)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <ponds!rivers@dg-rtp.dg.com>
To:        ponds!via.net!joe, ponds!freebsd.org!questions
Subject:   Re: tn5250 !

> Does anyone know how a tn5250 session differs from a regular telnet
> session? I'm trying to persuade a tn5250 emulator to work with the
> fwtk telnet proxy.
>
> Is there source to a tn5250 program available somewhere?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joe

 There are several differences; mostly that it negotiates a binary
sessions instead of text one.

 tn5250 emulates an IBM EBCDIC terminal that deals in things called
3270-control codes; or a 3270-data stream.    The terminal accepts
this stream; draws stuff on the screen based on it. Let's the user
fill in certain areas and when <ENTER> (or, more generically, SEND) is
pressed; sends the filled in information back to the machine.

 If could be your proxy isn't working for binary sessions.

 For more information, you should see the tn3270 sources in
/usr/src/usr.bin or the tn3270 man page.  [A 5250 is just an
improved variant of this scheme.]

 Also, you can look up the X11 variant (tn3270 is a curses program),
x3270 - written at Georgia Tech.  It's available in the ports.

	- Dave Rivers -