Date:      Tue, 14 Jul 1998 23:26:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
Subject:   Re: Stopping the bloody cross posting.

On Wed, 15 Jul 1998, Mikhail Teterin wrote:

[...]
> From: Mikhail Teterin <mi@video-collage.com>
> Subject: Re: Stopping the bloody cross posting.
[...]
> First, I do not see anything wrong with Sender listing multiples.
> Second, what's wrong with relying on To: and/or Cc:?

Well, for starters because your message that I'm responding to
right now does not include any To: or Cc: headers.

Further reasons:

extra special logic to recognize chat@FreeBSD.ORG as being the
same as freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG.  Repeat for any other aliases
that might appear.

Consider a message x-posted to -chat and -alpha.  I am not
subscribed to -alpha, however, my filter sees -alpha in the Cc:
header.  Since my filter automatically recognizes new (FreeBSD)
mailing-lists and performs certain actions based on this, it will
think I've subscribed to -alpha.  Not Good.  Even worse if
someone Cc:'s a mythical mailing list.

This is still going to screw people who subscribe each -list to a
different address.  Eg. -hackers to freebsd-hackers@time.cdrom.com.

Finally, those headers are not altogether reliable.

> I just find it silly to duplicate messages on the hub, when they
> can easily be replicated by the receiver (if he/she wants to) for
> some sort of archiving. The Internet gets plenty of traffic from
> dummies already...

This isn't a problem when a message is only posted to the proper
-lists.  I certainly don't feel guilty for the few resources it
costs hub to send me the few _proper_ crossposts.  Those
crossposts are a drop in the relative bucket.

Really, your argument about resources is bogus.  The only way
that this becomes an issue is if cross-posting becomes rampant,
and if cross-posting becomes rampant, we may as well forget the
whole idea of distinct -lists and just create one "freebsd-mumalist"
to which all messages are posted.

--
This .sig is not innovative, witty, or profund.