Date:      Thu, 08 Jul 1999 22:49:24 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Shawn Workman <shawn@bsdguy.com>
To:        net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up LAN

I am having some difficulty setting up my LAN here in my house.
I have my main box (FreeBSD 3.2 Stable) that has 2 NIC's, vr0 is my outside
interface and vr1 is my inside interface.  I can get out on the net no proble,
with this box.

the IP address of vr0 is 216.18.166.162
the IP address of vr1 is 216.18.166.163
my netmask is 255.255.255.224.

My P130's IP address is 216.18.166.161

I have another box (Linux RedHat 6.0), it's IP address is 216.18.166.164

The P130 is connected to vr0
vr1 is running into a ethernet switch, this is the main feed for my LAN.
eth0 on the Linux box is also plugged into the switch.

I have the gateway of the Linux box set to the IP address of vr1 on the BSD box

The problem I am having is that I can not ping either box from the other..

The only time I have been able to ping the boxes from one another is when I run
natd on vr0 and have the appropriate rules setup for ipfw.

I would really like to use my real IP addresses on the LAN since the boxes I am
putting up will be accessed the internet and I do not want to use port
forwarding of natd.

Any suggestions..

Any help is greatly appreciated..

E-Mail: Shawn Workman <shawn@bsdguy.com>