Date:      Tue, 19 Sep 2000 00:14:47 +0100
From:      Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>
To:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>
Cc:        Tony Finch <dot@dotat.at>, chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: netcraft 'serve-ey'

j mckitrick wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 13, 2000 at 11:33:37PM +0000, Tony Finch wrote:
> | j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> wrote:
> | >
> | >Does anyone know if the netcraft survey is accurate? I recently read
> | >a comment that alleged it was not, and that (surprise) NT and Solaris
> | >were the dominant server OSs.
> |
> | It is accurate in terms of what it measures, but what it measures is
> | not necessarily what people think it measures. I.e. it counts virtual
> | hosts and it's trivial to put thousands of virtual hosts on a shitty
> | 486. Netcraft have other surveys which you must pay for which include
> | numbers that are more difficult to obtain, like the number of physical
> | machines with a given web server or OS, but even then its hard to tell
> | the difference between an E10000 and a Sparc 1.
>
> So who can we believe when Netcraft says Unix/Apache dominates, while
> entmag.com claims NT is the winner?  I'm beginning to think they are all
> lying, and all those fortune 500 companies are running boa as their
> webservers.  :)

Are you talking about this article?

http://www.entmag.com/displayarticle.asp?searchresult=1&ID=6150095626AM

In this article they admit the truth about the survey results but then
use the survey tools to test Fortune 500 companies, which tend to use
NT. The claims that these results "turn the figures on their head" is to
play fast and loose in the fastest and loosest way with the statistics.

The survey is accurate within the parameters that previous people have
said and there are fairly comprehensive explanations on the Netcraft web
site as to how much weight should be given to the results (which is
quite a lot but don't take individual probes as gospel).

Paul Richards
FreeBSD Services Ltd (ex Netcraft)