Date:      Thu, 30 Jan 1997 08:29:25 +0100 (MET)
From:      Peter Mutsaers <plm@xs4all.nl>
To:        Wes Peters <softweyr@xmission.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Can in have an "ip-up" script with user ppp too?

>> On Wed, 29 Jan 1997 22:35:13 -0700 (MST), Wes Peters
>> <softweyr@xmission.com> said:

    WP> Recenlty I said to Peter, with regards to shell commands in ppp.linkup:
    WP>  % Yeah, it accepts PPP commands.  I think one of these commands is !
    WP>  % to run an interactive shell.  You'd have to check this.  What do you
    WP>  % want to run?  (Chances are you're doing it backwards.)

    WP> Peter Mutsaers writes:
    >> OK, I'll try that. I want to run sendmail -q and fetchmail.

    WP> Your doing it backwards.  What you really want to do is make
    WP> user mode PPP demand dialing work, and then run sendmail and
    WP> fetchmail in a cron job.  This way, the PPP link will be
    WP> automagically brought up each time sendmail and fetchmail get
    WP> started.

No, I played with demand dialing and it looks nice, but I don't want
it. Local telephone calls here are quite expensive. I don't want to
risk to call my ISP accidentally, and as soon as I'm finished I want
to hang up immediately. So I really want only manual dialing.

--
Peter Mutsaers  |  Abcoude (Utrecht), |  Trust is a good quality
plm@xs4all.nl   |  the Netherlands    |  for other people to have