Date:      Fri, 14 Feb 1997 10:01:07 -0500 (EST)
From:      William Bulley <web@merit.edu>
To:        steve@vic.cioe.com (Steve Ames)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: radius and cisco

According to Steve Ames:

> I've got a cisco 2511 running Cisco IOS 11.1.9. I've got it configured to
> run radius. Compile radius straight out of the ports directory. Modified
> the clients and users files and ran radiusd. So far so good. Telnetted over
> to the 2511 and got %Access Denied. *sigh*

The RADIUS server in the "ports" directory is our server (Merit) and it
is very, very old now.  There is a newer on you can grab from our FTP site.

> Added tons of debugging information to the authentication.c and funcs.c
> files and ran it it again. Near as I can track down the encryption used
> by the radius port and the cisco 2511 are different... or their keys are.

Our server conforms to the RADIUS RFC and so does the Cisco RADIUS client
(I am quite sure) so this stuff is meant to work together.  In fact we use
the 2511 here in several places.

> My users file looks thustly (basically just used the sample):
>
> ----CUT HERE---
>
> fred	Password = "flint"
> 	Filter-Id = "unlim"
>
> steve	Authentication-Type = Unix-PW
> 	Filter-Id = "unlim"
>
> DEFAULT	Authentication-Type = Unix-PW
> 	Filter-Id = "unlim"

The sample users file in our distribution uses the Filter-Id "unlim" just
as an example.  Maybe the Cisco concept of filters is different.  Maybe
you don't have any filters configured.  You don't need that reply-item
unless you are planning to use packet filtering on the NAS (you say router).

Please don't be tempted to modify the slipuser, dumbuser and pppuser pseudo
user entries in the users file.  These are there for a reason and unless
you really understand what is going on it is better not to fix that which
ain't broken.

There is built in debugging and you needn't "add tons of debugging" code
to see what is going on.  You need only add one or more "-x" options to
the command line when you start the daemon, or if the daemon is already
running you may send it USR1 signals to increase the debugging level (one
USR1 equals one "-x" option) and the USR2 signal turns off debugging.

Once debugging is enabled, there is a file radius.debug created next to
the other configuration files (clients, users, authfile).  Look in here
and the logfile for reasons why things aren't working.  For Merit RADIUS
specific questions, I am a fairly good resource...  :-)

Regards,

web...

--
William Bulley, N8NXN              Senior Systems Research Programmer
Merit Network, Inc.                Email: web@merit.edu

[ What's all the fuss over the end of the century with mission critial ]
[ programs failing due to dates?  If people simply started using Roman ]
[ Numerials the problem vanishes!  MCM = 1900 MCMXCIX = 1999 MM = 2000 ]