Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 17:39:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      jones@veritas.com (Alan Jones)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   hung system

Hello,

I've done kernel development on a variety of Unix systems.  What I
have appears to be a hung system.  Same symtom on 2.2.7 & 2.2.8.  I've
got kernel ppp configured (user-level would not work for me) on a
USR03030 Sportster X2 mumble.  It is a 333 Pentium from Micron.
Everything works until I stress the modem, for example, by ftp'ing a
large file.  I've eliminated X software by reproducing it on the text
console.  All things appear to hang, though I don't have a network to
check it for life over the net.

What I would like to do is interupt the system and get a thread list
or stack from the thread the CPU is on.  UnixWare has a kernel
debugger that you can use directly on the console and an interupt
keyboard sequence.  I've put in the options DDB and BREAK_TO_
DEBUGGER, however, p. 255 of "The Complete FreeBSD" indicates that
BREAK_TO_DEBUGGER only works if you have the console redirected to a
serial port.  I don't happen to have a VT100 handy and configuring my
Pilot to act as one is a lot of work just to run the debugger.

Any suggestions?  If there is a better way for me to submit this
problem, please let me know.

Alan