Date:      Wed, 12 Aug 1998 17:37:20 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        jphdumas@lemel.fr, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fxtv pal-secam

Sorry for the long delay since your original message.  Life outside of
FreeBSD has been keeping me busy in recent months.

JPH Dumas:
 |fxtv sort of works, my antenna is worse than anything, but i can
 |see that I receive some images on some channels.
 |It does not crash, but when i push the wrong button, X get mad,
 |the screen is out of sync obviously, and I have to ctrl+alt+bs.
 |But no problems, I can live with it.

Ok, probably what you're talking about here is full-screen zoom.  If you do
a full-screen zoom (by default bound to a Btn1 click, <space>, and "z"),
Fxtv will flip down to the closest configured video mode to the max
resolution of the TV input format you're running (typically 640x480 for
NTSC).  For PAL folks (768x576), this will likely end up being 800x600 if
this mode is configured in your XF86Config.  Not quite full screen but
pretty close.

Now if that closest video mode isn't configed up to work on your monitor,
you'll see it lose sync.  Also, if your card isn't supported well by the
version of XFree you're running, it may not work either.

An easy way to test for the former is to cycle through all your configed
video modes inside of X using Ctrl-Alt-+.  If your monitor never loses
sync, your mode configs all look good.  That leaves the X Server.  Make
sure you're running the latest XFree (3.3.2), latest Fxtv (0.47), and
latest bt848 driver.  If still problems let me know and we can work through
where the culprit is.

 |OK, now some questions:

Oh!, I wasn't suppose that last one :-)

 |- Is there a way to fine tune the frequency while fxtv is running,
 |something like small increments/decrements bound to the + and - key,

You can dial in specific frequencies by typing "f" and then the frequency.
For example, "f180.5", and fine tune (sort of) by typing in close
frequencies (f180.6, f180.7).  Kind'of a pain though.

Currently there isn't a supported TVSetStation() action rtn arg for
incremental frequency changes.  See section 1.6.2 in the Fxtv README:

     /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fxtv/README

for examples.  Extending the argument syntax to support incremental
frequency changes wouldn't be hard.  For example, these are already supported:

            TVSetStation( +1 )           - bump channel by 1
            TVSetStation( -1 )           - bump channel down by 1
            TVSetStation( f61.25 )       - change to frequency 61.25 MHz

a natural extension for incremental frequency changes would be:

            TVSetStation( f+.1 )       - bump frequency up .1 MHz
            TVSetStation( f-.1 )       - bump frequency down .1 MHz

 |I may even volunteer to write this, if I know a little bit more
 |about how to do it. I program no problems in C, but I don't have
 |the slightest knowledge in X11 programming...

Feel free to take a stab.  Mail me the diffs and I'll add 'em in :-) No X
knowledge should be required.  Take a look at
actions.c::TVActionSetStationAction().  I think all the mods needed for
your suggestion would be in here.

 |- One thing that strikes me is that I never had the sound, exept the loud
 |cling-clang when changing channel in audio-auto, so I switched to
 |audio-internal. The hardware is SB64 AWE, I use snd0 and sbxxx drivers,
 |but I don't know if it is ok. How to test this part ? Kernel is happy
 |but I have no indication that at the app level everything is ok.
 |-btw, is there somewhere a awe64 driver ? (I tried the 32, no joy.)

See http://multiverse.com/~rhh/awedrv.  In particular, see the PnP link.
All AWE64s are PnP so you got to get the configed up right before you can
do much with them.

 |-The tuner in this card seems to be a zillion times less sensitive
 |(a with a zillion times worse s/n ratio) than regular TV, is this
 |true ? any figure about it ?

No experience with your particular tuner.  The Philips NTSC on mine is good
though.  No complaints.

 |- Is there any way to go full screen ? The window limit to 640x578 (or
 |something), i.e. a fourth of the screen surface. Well, I can probably
 |set XF86config for a 640x480 full screen. Is there an easy way to do
 |this at startx time ? (my XF86config is voluntarily restricted to
 |1280x1024, but I just have to uncomment 640x480 32 100hz, I hope)

Yep as I mentioned above.  It'll try to flip down to the closest video mode
you have configed to the max resolution of your tuner.  For SECAM, that
should be the MAX PAL res of 768x576.  So if you have 800x600 configed,
it'll flip down to that (given that the vidmode extension works with your X
server and video card combo).

 |-What about /dev/mix, I don't have a /dev/mix, what should it be ?
 |(I don't remember which program keeps complaining about it,
 |I tried quite some this afternoon, and I have to walk to use the net)

It's actually /dev/mixer.  This is typically a symlink to the default
mixer, usually /dev/mixer0.

If you don't have these, try:

   cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV snd0

I think Roger caught most of your other questions.  Let us know if we
missed some.

Randall