Date:      Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:16:05 -0500
From:      "John E.P. Hynes" <john@hytronix.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Alpha PC164 Clock not Y2K Compliant?

Hello All,

I'm new to the list (but I've been using FreeBSD on a number of machines for
quite some time.)

I recently installed FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE on an Alpha for the first time (all
my other boxes are x86) and I noticed that if I use "date" to set the clock
to March 6, 2001, after the next reboot the kernel complains that the clock
lost 365 days, and indeed, the time/day is correct, but the year shows up as
2000.  Currently, I just run ntpdate before ntpd loads, and all is well.

Is there a known Y2K issue with the clock chips on the PC164 Motherboard, or
could there be an issue with the way the "date" command updates the hardware
clock?

-John