Date:      Mon, 24 Aug 1998 11:11:39 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Jan B. Koum" <jkb@best.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSDi our friends???

Jan B. Koum wrote:

>         Hello all,
>
>         I have been always told that BSDi are our friends. I don't intend
>         to start "BSDi sucks" threat, but I am hoping someone here can
>         help me out. See, 4.0 BSDi just came out and on their web page
>         they have a little chart comparing BSDi to different OSes. FreeBSD
>         2.2.6 is one of them. The chart is at:
>         http://www.bsdi.com/products/internet/40-qna
>         Now lets analyze it:
>
> When BSDi say BIY (Build it yourself), to they realize that with packages
> you don't need to build anything? It is already there for you. Examples
> include POP3/IMAP servers, etc. Should be changed to "3rd".

No, these should be "Std", as they are supplied with the distribution,
you simply add them to the base package.  The FreeBSD package tools are
so simple even MCSE's can figure out how to use them.  ;^)

So, cruising down the list for what I know, we get:

HTTP Proxy: Std
HTTP accelerator: Std

XML: 3rd (with Netscape 4.5, right?)

Local Database: Std (take your pick of mSQL, MySQL, Postgres, etc)
Remote Database: Std (mSQL has ODBC drivers, right?)
FrontPage: 3rd (use BSDi emulation)

POP3 Server: Std (qpopper, cucipop, imap-uw, cyrus)
IMAP Server: Std (imap-uw, cyrus)

IPsec, ISAKMP: are these in packages yet?

Python: Std

Radius Authentication: Std

Kerberos: Std
S*NM*P Tools: Std (ucd-snmp agent)

Uptimes > 1 year: Std (see several "My FreeBSD lasts longer than yours"
                       threads over the years for proof)

IPv6: 3rd

Initial free phone support: 30 (if purchased from Walnut Creek CD-ROM).

E-Mail support: Std
Update support: Std (via FreeBSD-announce, WC subscription, etc.)
Patch Server: Std

Pricing, Base Product: $0
Pricing, 16 user: $0
Return privilege: infinite (if purchased through Walnut Creek CD-ROM)

Please note that if you install FreeBSD over the internet, you don't
need to return the bits.  ;^)

>         So, what do we do now? Should I send a nicer, kinder mail to
>         someone within BSDi and point out their mistakes?

Send it straight to Rob, with a note that this comparison should at least
be fair?