Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 2000 01:28:27 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        FreeBSD current users <FreeBSD-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: -e option to umount?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 00:27:35 -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > That's a cool idea, but unfortunately, it won't work with any hardware I
> > know of.
> >
> > In order for that to work, the CDROM drive would have to generate an AEN
> > (Asynchronous Event Notification) and send it to the controller, which
> > would have to be capable of functioning as a target as well as an
> > initiator.
>
> Hmm.  If SCSI drives are anything like ATAPI drives (and here I confess I
> haven't checked), the first I/O after the eject button is pressed will
> come back with a marker (eg. check condition) with sense information that
> indicates that a user eject was requested.

Some may, but the Panasonic DVD drive I just tried here didn't pass back
any sort of error in response to the TUR I sent it after pressing the
eject button.

In any case, if an error were returned, the only way you could get that
to work would be to have the media daemon continually ping the drive with
the mounted media, and then unmount it in response to the (likely) unit
attention condition.

> > Then the controller would have to pass that back up to some process that
> > would then unmount the drive, which would also give the cd(4) driver its
> > final close and allow removal of the media.
>
> That's pretty much a given part of the media daemon implementation, and
> really not all that hard.

True enough.  It's getting a drive that supports AEN that is hard.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org