Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:18:12 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        data@dreamhaven.net, dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Swapping out root partition

>Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 14:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>

>> I need to swap out the drive on my FreeBSD system that contains the root
>> partition.  Is there a recommended procedure for doing this, so I don't
>> screw up my machine?

>Copying the root partition is the same as copying any other partition,
>just make sure /etc/fstab is accurate.

Well, except that when I did this, I tried using /stand/sysinstall's
front end to the disklabel/newfs/mount programs, and found it a bit odd
that it used slice "e" for what was to be the new root filesystem....

Ended up going in with disklabel -e to change things around to the way I
wanted them afterward....

david
--
David Wolfskill		UNIX System Administrator
dhw@whistle.com		voice: (650) 577-7158	pager: (650) 371-4621