Date:      Fri, 4 May 2001 15:08:30 -0700
From:      Adam Kranzel <adam@alameda.edu>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        sf@freebsd.org.roam@freebsd.org.dscheidt@enteract.com.yoshi@parodius.com
Subject:   Suggestions/cleanups for the nethack ports

(cc to the maintainers of the mentioned ports)

Hello,

The various nethack (nethack, nethack3, nethack3-tty, nethack-qt,
nethack-gtk) ports are somewhat of a mess, and I will work on fixing as much
as I can, the following are what I would suggest:

The nethack port is still at 3.2.3, which is no longer maintained, and should
probably be retired.

The nethack-qt and nethack-gtk ports are both based on 3.2.3, however these
interfaces are both part of the base nethack distribution now, so they can be
updated to 3.3.1 with appropriate options set.

The nethack3 port (named wrongly, since 3.2.3 also is technically version 3)
should probably go away, and nethack3-tty should become nethack-tty.

I will update the nethack-gtk (which will still be broken due to the GTK not
allowing SUID problem), nethack-qt, and nethack-tty ports as necessary, and
create a new nethack-x11 port.
I will also update the ports to be prefix-clean, using the same method as the
slashem-tty port (pr ports/26754) that I submitted.

If you have any comments/suggestions please mail me, and though I am not
subscribed to the list, I do read the archives regularly.

thanks
 -Adam