Date:      Thu, 20 Nov 1997 10:09:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Ben Hockenhull <benh@blues.jpj.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NAT+registered networks

I'm attempting to use a FreeBSD box to assist in my transition from
registered addresses to unregistered addresses.  I have approx 1000 nodes
with registered addresses that will be, over time, switched to addresses
in the 10.x.x.x range.

So, what I need to do is put this FreeBSD box in front of everything until
the entire thing is transitioned. The external interface is a registered
address, and the internal interface has both an unregistered and a
registered address assigned to it.  What it needs to do is to NAT
unregistered addresses and pass registered addresses.  Will this work?  I
can get unregistered addresses on the 192.168.x.x network to NAT fine;
it's the registered address passing and NAT of 10.x.x.x addresses that
does not work.  Any ideas?

/etc/natd.conf:

unregistered_only yes
alias_address 199.217.x.x
log yes

/etc/rc.firewall:

/sbin/ipfw -f flush
/sbin/ipfw add 3000 divert 6668 all from 10.0.0.0/8 to any via ep0
/sbin/ipfw add 4000 divert 6668 all from any to 10.0.0.0/8 via ep1
/sbin/ipfw add 65000 pass all from any to any

Thanks for any help.

Ben

--
Ben Hockenhull