Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:21:12 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>
To:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ENOUGH ALREADY!  (was Re: If you think people use FreeBSD for server, you must've been outta school for long long time!)

At 04:24 PM 7/24/01 -0700, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
>Oh dear.  Is there something in the water or has the CIA been too
>freely using their microwave-o-matic satellite (which the rest of the
>world, snicker, still knows as the Hubble space telescope)?  Don't get
>me wrong, a certain amount of mind control is fine and only to be
>expected of our humble civil servants, but people have been just plain
>wacky these last few weeks!  What can we expect for our next long,
>tortuous thread from hell - a return to the "X server should be in the
>kernel" discussion? Or perhaps we should start talking about killing
>Linux binary compatability again - that would make Brett happy!

No shit.

>Whatever it is, I wish it would stop.  The signal-to-noise ratio has
>been simply ridiculous lately and if the latest poster really wants a
>BSD desktop solution, I'm sure Apple would be happy to sell him an
>iMac.  He can even run Tomb Raider on it and watch Lara Croft's
>breasts jiggle in fine OpenGL rendered detail!

If this keeps up, I might ask that some be banned from the list, as has
been done in the past.  Promoting advocacy is one thing, if done in the
proper forum, but disrupting the list is another.  Those that feed the fire
might either learn some restraint or not drag every list member along with
the flotsam and jetsam and keep it private.

The list charter:

FREEBSD-STABLE

      Discussions about the use of FreeBSD-stable

      This is the mailing list for users of freebsd-stable. It includes
warnings about new features coming out in -stable that will affect
      the users, and instructions on steps that must be taken to remain
-stable. Anyone running ``stable'' should subscribe to this
      list. This is a technical mailing list for which strictly technical
content is expected.

Many on the list are not here for entertainment and don't care to watch
troll beating or a talent contest for comedians.  Nor is this a general
forum for any question under the sun.  There are lists more appropriate for
many of the discussions and questions here.

While I don't think any question should go unanswered, there is no reason
to keep the list in the loop and not reply privately and suggest the
appropriate list or -questions when in doubt.

The messages similar to this thread seen here, which has changed names
several times,  belong in -chat, since IMO they are not of a caliber
suitable -advocacy and more of a juvenile nature.

Those that only want to belong to one list might consider sticking to
-questions and not -stable, since most any user of *any* version should at
least be on -ports.  With the increased amount of clutter on -stable, I'd
bet on better results there, and might avoid the need to ask a question if
one pays attention.  Then it might be just my view that using something
that changes (ie source code) should require some work to keep up-to-date
with things and not just be done blindly.

Here's the link that has all the info one needs to find the right place to
ask about something.  Personally don't like the fact the lists are "open"
and so there isn't a need to subscribe, just ask for a direct CC:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/eresources.html

Disgruntled long time member hopefully speaking for other lurkers...

Jeff Mountin - jeff@mountin.net
Systems/Network Administrator
FreeBSD - the power to serve