Date:      Wed, 13 Jan 1999 07:49:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Feldman <green@unixhelp.org>
To:        Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Weird file corruption?

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> Brian Feldman writes:
> > Then I experienced problems compiling i86.c, which should have been (once
> > extracted again, this part of the archive wasn't corrupted)
> > static void i_xchg_axcx(void)    /* Opcode 0x91 */
> > {
> >     XchgAXReg(CX);
> > }
> > but was
> > static
> > static voidaxcx(void)    /* Opcode 0x91 */
> > {
> >     XchgAXReg(CX);
> > }
> >
> > So far, I really haven't seen this much, but I'm getting worried. Anyone have
> > any idea wha the problem is?
>
> Bad memory?
> Overclocking?
> Wasn't libz recently updated? (Does gzip use it?)

If it was libz, it would have to be doing some sort of actual modification
of the stream during a gzread :( It's not overclocking, because I set my
CPU at its standard 300 MHz. Maybe it is bad memory... should I go into the
BIOS and try setting the memory's speed lower? I just really want to find
the underlying cause, because this corruption is a very bad thing, and it
happened to my cvsup records file a little while back... I wonder if it could
be anything else.

> -Archie

 Brian Feldman					  _ __  ___ ___ ___
 green@unixhelp.org			      _ __ ___ | _ ) __|   \