Date:      Sun, 14 Jul 2002 18:58:43 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Mark Valentine <mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk>, Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

At 10:56 PM +0100 7/14/02, Mark Valentine wrote:
>someone (Doug Barton <DougB@freebsd.org>?) wrote:
>  > First, you can set PREFIX to be something else in your
>>  /etc/make.conf file,
>
>Doesn't work for packages, only ports.
>
>Hence my interest in the recent discussion of making install-time
>relocation work.

I would like to see that too, but I think the problem is that many
of the original programs do not understand that concept.  The
main idea of ports/packages is to take some program which already
exists, then then automate the steps for compiling that on freebsd.

The thing is, many programs (say, anything with autoconf) does
understand the "install prefix" and maybe even things like an
"exec prefix", but they do not understand "do a make-install
to location-A, and then some other process will move files from
there to location-B, so the programs installed in location-A
have to be easily relocatable after the make-install".

In some cases you can use a long path for the make-install PREFIX,
and then just patch the object-files with shorter paths (padded with
nulls) to relocate them, but in other cases you have to get into the
original program and rework how it does things.  With 7000 programs
in ports, that extra work could get messy...

[but I'd definitely like it if it could be done...  I think that
could be useful for both ports and packages, particularly in the
step of getting the packing-list correctly when installing a port]