Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 12:19:54 -0500
From:      devin-freebsdquestions@rintrah.org
To:        Chris Appleton <appleton_chris@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: annoyances

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 08:59:10AM -0800, Chris Appleton wrote:
> Nothing serious but when I restart my 4.4release box,
> I get a pause while it searches for "open vi
> sessions".  If I can hold off on ctl_c (not often) it
> gets past it but if there is a switch somewhere I'd
> love to hear about it.  I don't ever use vi.

Sounds like to me for one reason or another you have a lot
of vi files waiting for recovery. Couldn't tell you why
if you never use vi... but issue 'vi -r' as root
to get a list of all recoverable vi jobs. vi -r filename
to recover these and :q! to quit without saving each one.

> Also when I login, I get a mail notification.  I have
> sendmail disabled [snip]

disabling sendmail just stops the sendmail smtp server for
remote machines to deliver mail to you. local mail delivery
goes on as normal. You probably have, if nothing else, local
mail being delivered about those recoverable vi jobs.

--devin