Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 19:00:54 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Don <don@calis.BlackSun.org>
To:        Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
Cc:        Christer Hermansson <mail@chdev.com>, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Most compatible modem

>   Externel modems still require an IRQ for the port you plug it into.
However you are probably already using the com ports so you wont be using
up an extra irq.

> > Figuring out onto what com port, irq, and dma they have decided to dump
> > them selves on is pain.
>   If the modem has jumpers, this is easy.  If not, it is probably PnP and
> should happen automatically.
Having to rip the modem out to change jumper settings every time I want to
add a new device to my system is not my idea of easy. And getting a pnp
modem to work is not as easy as you make it out to be. Figuring out where
it has decided to install itself is bad enough. Then add another device or
modem and have it move itself to another com port? No thanks.
>                        Resetting them if they hang or die means rebooting
> > the system.
External modems still have advantadges over internal modems in the form of
no wasted PCI or ISA slots and no need to reboot to reset. They have easy
to access volume control and status lights. Their only failings are an
extra power supply, an extra cable and a loss of use of a com port. Their
ease of set up, however, more than make up for these problems.

>   Motorola is not very serious about modems, and wants to get out of that
> business.  It shows.  New modem firmware is released very slowly.
I have not purchased a motorola modem recently I can only speak to my past
experience. The last motorola device I purchased was an ISDN TA and it
has worked flawlessy for months now. I have had the same experience with
previous Motorola and 3com modems.

-Don