Date:      Mon, 6 Mar 2000 01:22:41 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   kern/16487: please apply newpcm fix

Hi,

Would someone please (pretty please) have a look at kern/16487
and commit the trivial fix in it?  It's just one line, and it
makes AvanceLogic-100 soundcards work again.

On a related note (unfortunately I don't have a fix for this):
The ALS-100 cards have a volume problem with newpcm.  They're
much too soft.  Even if I push the mixer settings all the way
to 100%, I have to turn the volume on the amplifier very high,
which results in a lot of static and noise.  I can literally
hear every disk access and window movement through the
speakers.  It's horrible.  :-(

That did not happen with Luigi's "oldpcm":  I could keep the
amplifier at a moderate level, and the mixer was at about 60%
to get decent audio playback -- no static, no noise.  Same
machine, same soundcard.  Is this a known problem?  I didn't
find anything in the PR DB, so I should probably submit a PR
about this.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)