Date:      Fri, 24 Jan 2003 11:29:36 -0800
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        Benjamin Smith <decrock@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Flash

On Thursday 23 January 2003 11:23 pm, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I'm a Unix virgin too, and my fingers are short and stubby, but I do have
> one skill.  If you ever need any contributions in Flash, that's my game.
> Splash, nav, what have you.  If you have something you need shinied up I'd
> be glad to donate an idle hour or ten.

At first I thought you were a Flash developer, and I was jumping for joy. Then
I realized you were probably just someone who designs web pages using Flash.
Sigh.

The state of the art in Flash on FreeBSD: Macromedia doesn't think we exist.
They will not release native FreeBSD versions of their plugins or players.
Because of this, getting Flash to work can be a pain. There is a native Linux
plugin, but you have to use a native Linux browser to use it. If your browser
of choice is Konqueror, then you need to use a native Linux version of KDE as
well. It's not that big of a pain not to have it though, since most Flash
content out there is worthless bandwidth hogging tripe, in my opinion. But
there's some sites I need to get to, that I can't become someone decided they
would do all site navigation through Flash. Aaargh!

On to the FreeBSD web pages. Everything that gets pumped down the line to the
user needs to be limited to HTML, CSS and static images. Period. This isn't
because we're old fogeys. It's because we UNIX people invented the internet,
and we happen to know just a little bit about it. The purpose of the web is
to distribute textual content. The underlying protocols are robust enough to
distribute other stuff, to be sure, but the main purpose is text.

Of course, that textual content should be visually pleasing. Proper markup and
formatting is good. Images that illustrate, break up the text flow, or just
make the page look nice are good. If you can help in this area, you are most
welcome. But keep the images static, because it's very hard to read text when
stuff on the page is moving.

David Johnson