Date:      Fri, 7 Jul 2000 14:22:14 +1000
From:      Jonathan Michaels <jon@welearn.com.au>
To:        Adrian Filipi-Martin <adrian@ubergeeks.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.osd.bsdi.com>, "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.1 disks

adrian,

On Thu, Jul 06, 2000 at 11:13:03AM -0400, Adrian Filipi-Martin wrote:
> On Thu, 6 Jul 2000, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>
> > > Is it decided yet what will be on the 4.1 disks?  Is there room for
> > > the distfiles, and is it still 4 disks?
> >
> > Sadly, there is no room for the distfiles anymore since even the
> > packages, which are the #1 user requested items, are overflowing the 4
> > CDs.  I may be able to fight and win a battle to go to 6 CDs, but
> > that will only catch us up with packages and "various extra bits"
> > again.  Meanwhile, the distfiles have bloated up to around 3GB
> > and only the FreeBSD toolkit can possibly accomodate even a good
> > selection of them, so that's what we're doing now.  If you want
> > distfiles, buy the toolkit.  If you want basic release bits and
> > packages to go with them, buy the mainstream releases.
> >
> > - Jordan
>
> 	I don't know if growing the CD set to 6 CD's will really make more
> people happier.  Maybe splitting the packages and distfiles into a add-on
> set similar to the toolkit would work better.  Then 2 or 6 CD sets could be
> made available with the ports/package CD's updated more frequently if
> necessary.

actually this is the sanest idea so far, adrian. all we really
need is the livefs media for checking and fixing and the
installation disk (umm cdrom) with a minimal prebuilt packages
(tools plus some of the big distributions sendmail bind mysql
postgresql x11 vi (ok and emacs too) stuff that will get a
network up and running and a sysadmin functional on a day to
day basis.

> 	From my perspective, i.e. from a well connected network, only the
> first two CD's are useful.  The first thing I do is set up cvsup and bring
> down the latest ports.

then as a seperate deal build a complete packages distribution
and a complete sources distribution that would contain the cvs
stuff (repositry? and so on).

these packages/sources cdrom sets could be built regularly say
ever 4 mths or even 6 mthly so that people could get a recent
cd set and then grab a reasonable sized chunk of stuff to build
thier own repositries.

> 	I'd be just as happy buying a 2 CD set, even if the price was the
> same or only marginally lower.  i.e. It is actually worth something to me
> to not get the extra CD's.  (I'm a closet Green Party member. ;-)

i'd tentatively agree in principle but would have to see how it
gets implemented and as usuall finally flows out to the farest
parts of teh empire here in austrlaia where it takes some 6, 8
weeks plus to get anyting -- unless one is prepared to spring
for dhl, that is.

to me it looks like its time to seriously think about what a
freebsd cdrom distribution is, what it contains and just what
its purpose in life is going to be. with lost of people
enjoying adsl and stuff like that, the need for cds as 'bulk
network transport media' is going to dwindle.

but, thier is always going to be parts of teh world that cannot
get cheap or reliab;le xdsl and a malable cdrom based freebsd
distribution would be a real boon.

one could subscribe to the "basic operating kit", say two cds
as i outlined above and then choose wither a subscription to
the "freebsd packages distrribution" - a binaries only build of
the whole packages tree with all teh mods, odds and sods that
make these beasties work with thhier related 'freebsd operating
kit'. then one could purchase as required or if one were a
developer take out a subscription to a "freebsd sources
distribution" cdrom set, this would have complete repositry
(compressed or otherwise) cramed ont several cds (or one
dvd-rom, but as people are just getting a cdrom on every
desktop the dvd would be say a luxoury item still).

i believe that this sort of hierachical aproach would have some
beneifits in teh long tern and could be made to work witht he
vagarities of teh so called commercial market place that
freebsd is being draged into (maybe kicking and screaming)
slowly inexorably.

this as always is just my take on the confuing world i find
myself in.

regards

jonathan