Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 05:17:59 -0800 (PST)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   making FreeBSD install look somewhere else on CD-ROM for its files?

I'm cutting a custom CD for my own use (I swear I won't distribute it or
anything), that contains both FreeBSD as well as several other OS's
(different Linux distributions, etc.)  (I maintain several machines,
plus install lots of new machines a day, and it would be nice to have
everything all on one CD, instead of having to lug around my whole CD
case.) (This CD will contain just the "bare essentials" for installing
these OS's -- minimal distributions, no extra packages, no commerce/ and
xperimnt/ directories, etc. -- this is how I am fitting all OS's onto one
CD.)

To make things more organized, I'd like to put each OS in its own
subdirectory on the CD-ROM -- freebsd/ for FreeBSD, slackware/ for
Slackware Linux, redhat/ for Red Hat, and so on.  Basically I'm trying to
avoid an overly crowded CD-ROM root directory.

As I understand it, the install boot floppy looks for the
install package directories (bin/bin.[a-z][a-z], src, ports, etc.)
directly off of the root of the CD-ROM.  Now, for my scheme to work, I'd
have to be able to change this somehow, so that it looks for them in a
subdirectory of my choosing.  Example:

(relative to the root of the CD-ROM)
/freebsd/bin/bin.aa (and .ab, and ...)
/freebsd/src/src.aa (and so on)

Is there any easy (read: quick'n dirty, without having to hack'n slash too
much) way of doing this? (Yeah, I know I can kludge it using symlinks, but
as I said earlier, I am trying to keep the CD-ROM's root directory as
"clean" as possible.)

Thanks for your assistance!

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.